20G Long nanotank list?

Orville

Reefing newb
Well were should i begin....I am no newbie to freshwater...But i am a newbie to SW.

I always wanted a saltwater tank. But i did the research first and it was was out of my reach of money for the main reason of being in college. so I went with a fresh water tank to learn about cycling and keeping fish because they are cheaper and learned that Then moved on to Dirt tanks that were planted. Mastered that so now i wanted to move on to what i really want..

In my research i found out a lot and i wanted a nano tank and i had a 20GL tank laying around.

My List:

1. 20G Long
  2. Power head.and a HOB filter ((gonna upgrade to sump later) moves about 200GPH and you need about ten times the volume moved)
  3. Sand mixed with crush coral
  4. Heater At 78 Degrees.
Tank is filled and running to make sure there is no leaks, and the mix is at 1.025

Lights?
Now here is my Problem. I have a extra Dual light set up.
Its a T5 Dual Lamp Fixture that i had on my planted tank. It puts out about 45 watts. Will this work for FOWLR because i heard you need sometimes 4 Watts per gallon. Will this Work or no?

LiveRock?
Now My last question is the live rock.
i was thinking 10Pounds of Base Rock and 10Pounds of Live Rock and let the base rock become live rock?

:passedout

You don't need the HOB - thats freshwater tech that does not really translate well to saltwater. It will build up nitrates and give you headaches. If you already have one from your freshwater stuff, keep it to run things like carbon if needed - they are handy for that

With a 20 gallon tank, a sump is not neccesary, but adding one won't hurt anything. (you'd probably be better served upgrading at some point, and using the 20 gallon as the sump :D )

Your lights will be fine for a fish only tank, but I wouldnt plan on keeping many corals with them. Mushroonms and Zoanthids would probably be it

Your plan for live rock is fine, its how I started my tank. Keep in mind that doing it this way may mean your cycle will take longer. When you start up this way, make sure the live rock you buy is good looking stuff - not the half dead 'live' rock sold by most local fish stores. Marco Rocks is a great place to get base rock

Well i don't have a cartage in the hob filter just using it as a way to make water movement, and i did read to use it for activated carbon..( second reason to have it)

There is a mom n pop store that's all they do is saltwater n there always busy so im going to them for LR. not no pet store junk that's half dead. and heard to many bad out comes.

But i will be getting a nice 75g when im done with college.

N thank you smitty.

be careful with the bulbs. if you had fresh planted you probably have 6500k bulbs. for sale you usually use a10000k and a 460 nm actinic bulb. and i would use just sand. crushed coral traps detritus and leads to nitrates in saltwater

im picking up the 10kk and the blue bulb tom. and i mixed the sand and crush coral al ready :( so i guess im stuck with it

+1 everyone

I would pull out as much of the crushed coral as you can. It will all end up on top of the sand anyways, and then turn into a gigantic crap trap.

For water movement, you should get yourself a good powerhead. It is far more efficient at moving water (you want your tank turned over at least 30x per hour)

Also, i would suggest going reef. You really can only keep two, at most 3 tiny fish in a 20 gal, so you fill it up with corals instead.

Well i only want two fish n that's two clown fish. the reason i like the way they act. and after a year ill add coral. and ill pick up another power head tomm

Back