29 Bio cube salinity trouble

tp1011

Reefing newb
Hi All,

Just set up my 29 bio cube and having trouble getting my salinity right to low or to high never where i want it any tips.

P.S. I have the 29 HQI and I want to sell my metal halide set up. make me an offer. i just bought the Kessil so i don't need the halide. I know the is not the forum to post this but since Im new to this forum i cant post in classifieds yet.

Thanks

Where is your salinity level at? if it's too high, just add top off water to dilute it...and if it's too low, just add saltwater instead of plain water when topping off.

Make small increments that are less than what you think you need. Don't forget to discount any volume if rock etc from you water volume in your calculations.

Here is a formula for adding salt that may help:

((.5 / desired reading) X (desired reading - actual current reading)) X actual gallons = cups of reef salt ......use as a reference and put in just a little less for safety .. you can always add more.

Substitute the .5 for what your instructions say per gallon ref.

Mix that in a different container.. remove the amount of water that your mixing container contains from your tank.. then slowly add it in.. the reef salt needs to be completely dissolved. Let it rest at least for a couple of hours, you want to make very small changes if you have anything alive in your tank. Match the temperature to the tank temperature.

Who else has a comment?

Last edited:
I'm just curious what you're using to test the salinity, if it's a hydrometer, that could be your problem. They are notoriously inaccurate.

+1 BL1

To lower your salinty:

((.5 / desired reading) X (current reading - desired reading)) X actual gallons = gallons to remove and put back not salted RODI water.

.. again change the .5 if your instructions indicate a different cups per gallon.

..I think... someone check my work!

Last edited:
Yes, if you are using a plastic swing-arm hydrometer, you should buy a refractometer instead (they are about $30 to $40). Hydrometers need to be replaced every 6 months or so and aren't very accurate.

If your salinity is too high, then remove some saltwater and replace it with freshwater. If your salinity is too low, then top off using saltwater instead of freshwater until it's at the correct level.

Back