29 Gallon Lighting Question

What kind of budget are you willing to part with? And how wide/deep is your tank? Are you planning on any acro's or sps, or just mainly low light stuff like zoos, leathers and lps?

The tank is 30"L x 12"W x 18"H. It came with a hood that currently has 2 fluorescent daylight bulbs.

As far as what type of coral, I am not quite sure yet.

Trust me, it is very difficult to find lighting for a 30in tank...that's why I went with the clamp on...or else, you could suspend the lights from the ceiling like some people do.

I also have a 29 gal. If I had done some research, I would have bought a different sized tank, one of 36". Easier to find lighting. I had a 4x24 watt t5-HO Current USA light that I suspended underneath the canopy until it finally died. The heat and humidity killed the ballasts prematurly.

I then did a DIY 4x24 watt t5-HO with individual reflectors and a remote ballast. Mounted that inside my canopy and have been very happy since.

I spend about a total of 100 dollars on the DIY before adding in bulbs.

Well this makes me rethink my purchase lol. What would you recommend for a beginner reef setup?

I always try to recommend that you should buy the biggest tank you can afford/fit in your house. The larger the system the more stable it will be, and the more forgiving to newbie mistakes as well.

I am in the process of starting a business so pockets are limited until I get going. But I would rather not screw myself in the beginning either :p

Also, you should consider what exactly you want/how many things you want in your tank. That will also dictate a possible size, if you only want clowns then you can get a small tank, if you want tangs then you'll need a much larger tank.

Anything with 4 t5-HO 24 watt bulbs with individual reflectors. They add like 100% more light than a single reflector over all the bulbs. You would be able to keep almost anything in the tank lighting wise.

Not sure on budget. I am OCD though, so if I have 110 aquarium, it needs to be filled with a nice supply of reef :p and that isn't cheap anyways haha. We figured start with 29 and build a nice reef, transfer to larger aquarium and build on to it. But now yall got me thinking.

I always try to recommend that you should buy the biggest tank you can afford/fit in your house. The larger the system the more stable it will be, and the more forgiving to newbie mistakes as well.

i've learned some things with my 29 that I wouldn't have wanted to learn with a larger tank, leak wise, lol. So I think a 29 is a good start. Unfortunately there does come a time where I dream of a larger tank, but my day will come. My g/f wants a larger tank more than I do. She loves Kole tangs. So no convincing for me!!!

I personally want a lion fish. Shark would be cool hahaha. But reality would like a nice clean reef layout with some nice tangs and various fish if I go bigger for sure.

I believe that a dwarf lion can be kept in a 29 gallon, but most likely just him since they will eat anything smaller than their mouth.

SOme nice fish for that size tank are firefish, cardinal fish, and of course clown fish.

If you want Tangs you will eventually need like a 120 or so. I want a 90, or a 110 high... I got a real nice T5 light for $220, its 48" wide, 4 bulbs. That 29"wide number is going to be a challenge. I think I would look for a 24" fixture and maybe the legs will extend out for you, or you can do a pendant light fixture and that opens new possibilities. Chech out Dr Foster and Smith site for light ideas.

My biggest issue with this tank is it does not have seperate toggles for the 2 bulbs. I wasn't too happy when we took it out and seen that to begin with. I thought all were seperate on "ocean" ready kits.

Seems like the light is going to be the killer on this tank.

Lol "ocean ready"

I have the Nova Sundial 4x24 watt. It's 30" wide, so it sit directly on my tank, it has 2 timers on the back which control a pair of bulbs each, when it's lights out for the night there are 2 "night viewing" lights that click on. I love it. I have all kinds of coral. I haven't tried too many SPS but I have a stylo that's branching at the top.

Back