29 gallon protein skimmer recommendations?

Cr1ck37

Reefing newb
Hi all,
I was curious on suggestions / recommendations for a protein skimmer on my 29 gallon tank. Initially I had an air stone skimmer which I've recently returned, so I'm now back to square one and looking for a reasonably priced skimmer. Any suggestions / prices would be great!

Welcome to the site...I have a remora aqua c hob skimmer on my 29gal...you can also look into the octopus brand of skimmers. But ultimately, you don't really need one on a tank that size, as long as you keep up with your regular scheduled water changes.

Water changes would be my next question. I do tests and I know there are different circumstances...however out of curiosity how often do you do changes? Weekly? Biweekly?

Currently I have 2 clowns, cleaner shrimp, diamond goby, 3 nassarius snails, and 2 hermit crabs. I am also currently running on a canister filter.

I'd plan on 5 - 8 gallons a week. But that is just me. I do 5 gallons a week on my 24, and 30 gaollons a week on my 120.

So I got my Hydor Slim Skim, however I am getting micro bubbles coming out of the bottom! I've tried adjusting the air intake / height of the collection cup but I am not having any luck. Anyone have suggestions?

So I got my Hydor Slim Skim, however I am getting micro bubbles coming out of the bottom! I've tried adjusting the air intake / height of the collection cup but I am not having any luck. Anyone have suggestions?

Someone else who knows what they're talking about can definitely confirm this since I'm super new, but I don't think it's uncommon to get some bubbles while the skimmer is breaking in.

Ah ok thanks, was a bit worried cause I always hear how micro bubbles are dangerous for saltwater. I'll leave it running for the night, hopefully it will start going away by morning.

Back