29 gallon stocking

Noah34568

Reefing newb
I'm new. I want a coral tank and want to know what i should put in it. I like the shirmp. Can you please give me a good stocking for fish or/and corals to get?

first, what equipment do you have. lights, filtration?
do you have any live rock?

in a 29 you can only keep 2-3 small fish.

most inverts dont count as anything and you can add those as you wish within reason as long as you have something for them to eat

I have a 29 with a small Fiji Blue Devil Damselfish (<1"), a fat mandarin (2 or 3"), a Midas Blenny (close to 4")and a Pajama Cardinal (between 2 and 3". My 'trates are zero. I will probably not anything else.

I have 2 percula false clowns, 2 bengaii cards, and a Diamond goby. I'm in a 28g NanoCube. 50 lbs LR and 20 lbs aragonite oolyte sand. All very happy together and parameters are excellent. Eventually (few months) all are moving up to the 65G.

+1 to all above!
I'm only 1 1/2 in the reef aspect. Listen to the people here! If you are just setting up, new tank, curing live rock and such, you won't be adding anything for at least 6 weeks until the tank fully cycles. My LFS forbade me to buy anything until I was cycled! Then the CUC's, then some fish, then some easy coral. My first two corals were a nice zoa and a red mushroom.

Good luck!

Try to aim for about 1 fish per 10 gallons. Some people have their differing opinions on that rule but it's not bad to go with it.

Remember that fish and inverts are different when it comes to adding them to a tank. You shouldn't add a multiple of fish all at once because it can really mess up your water parameters. Inverts don't provide the same bioload as fish so it's ok to add a few simultaneously.

In your 29 g, I'd safely stock 3 fish. As the tank gets established for a while, 4 fish would be alright. You don't want to overcrowd it now.

I have a 29 with a small Fiji Blue Devil Damselfish (<1"), a fat mandarin (2 or 3"), a Midas Blenny (close to 4")and a Pajama Cardinal (between 2 and 3". My 'trates are zero. I will probably not anything else.

Is your mandarin living off pods only or does it eat food you put in the tank?

Sorry for changing the subject. I should also add that I have a 28 g with 3 small green chromis, 2 medium sized oc. clowns and an eyebar sifter goby (2-3") and they have all been healthy and free of any diseases or parasites for over a year now. Going to be upgrading to a 40g tank soon though.

Back