29Gal tank

912jake

Reefing newb
Thought i would start a thread showing off my tank although its still in the beginning phases. I am a little late in doing this mainly because all the pictures I have of my tank I took on my Iphone and its ridiculous how complicated it is to get pictures off of it and onto a computer with vista so i finally broke down and just e-mailed em to myself, any way here it goes.

The tank we got for 20 bucks and came with a hood and light as well as a HOB filter ( was a freshwater tank before). Here is a picture of it before anything was added sitting on the stand me and my fiances father built. Before the stain and hardware

tank2.jpg

We then purchaed some live sand (Fiji Pink but was the name of it but i cant remember the folks who make it now to save my life agralite maybe my fiance ordered it). We also bought a couple pieces of live rock from our LFS. At this point we also already have a clownfish named Cornelious living in a 10 gallon aquarium we had started previously. We purchased a Coralife Superskimmer the 65gal version which seems to have mixed reviews on here however ive had no problem with it so far, but there also isnt much life in the tank so we will see how it does later down the road. As far as flow goes there is a lifetech ap1600 liquid filter was told at the LFS that it would serve the same purpose as a powerhead but for half the price. It seems to keep the water moving around nicely even though it was cheap and made in china i believe. The following picture is during cycling with just the live rock in it and the hang on filter running to keep some movement in the tank. Also the stand has been stained and the hardware put on, one door is missing because i didnt take into consideration the width of the hinges when they were cut so i had to make some adjustments lol.

fishtank1.jpg

It was about over a month before we moved the fish in and the live rock that was in the 10gal over, mainly because about the time the tank had finished cycling we had a vacation to San Diego and we did not want to move the fish in to the new tank then leave for 4 days and be unable to keep an eye on everything. So when we got back I got the skimmer on and working and put the Lifetech liquid filter thing in for flow and moved the clown over as well as his live rock that was in the old tank. The remainder of the photos are of how the tank is as of right now.

tank3.jpg

tank4.jpg

cornelious2.jpg

cornelious3.jpg

I know its nothing to impressive right now but its a new tank and i plan on adding on as soon as i can, next things to come will be new lighting first then im planning on using my old 10 gallon as a sump underneather the stand that way i can get that ugly skimmer off the back of my tank and cut back on all the equipment thats in the tank, i think my clown may be a little scared of the skimmmer since he seems to hangout on the opposite side of the tank and RARELY ventures to the other side.

Thanks for looking and ill try and keep this updated as often i can. Also thanks for all the help you guys have provided so far.

Looks great! What are your plans for livestock for the future?

Of course i plan on getting some more live rock for it, but I believe here in the next couple weeks were goin to pick up one of the black clownfish, we started with 2 clowns in our 10 gallon but one died after about a month. Also would like a blue tang but on live aquaria it said minimum tank size should be 120 gallons so im not to sure thats gonna happen. Im still doing some research on what kinda fish will get along with one another. The coral is a whole different ballpark. I didnt think id be able to do coral right now but after some research and alot of help on here I realized i could afford lighting good enough to keep coral so i have been looking at stuff like crazy trying to figure out what I want and how to properly care for them. But as of now im not to sure as to what i want.

If you get another clown, it has to be the same species as the one you already have. Otherwise they will fight to the death.

You won't be able to keep any tangs in a 29, unfortunately. Good job for doing your research though!

Everyone will have different experiences, I've got an ocellaris clownfish and a "Mocha" ocellaris clownfish. They've been together for about 3 months now and get along together just fine. But, like I said not everyone will have the same luck with their fish.

That sucks about the tang but i kinda figured that'd be the case. Ok so i believe the one we have is an ocellaris clown, the black and white ones are also shown as ocellaris clowns, so would they or would they not be compatible? im also not 100% sure ours is a ocellaris but based on the pictures on live aquaria thats my best guess. I didnt buy him my fiance did and she cant remember what species.

Everyone will have different experiences, I've got an ocellaris clownfish and a "Mocha" ocellaris clownfish. They've been together for about 3 months now and get along together just fine. But, like I said not everyone will have the same luck with their fish.

That is because they are both ocellaris clowns. :)

Different color does not mean different species.

So then a black and white ocellaris clownfish should be ok to put with my normal orange ocellaris clownfish. Because they are both the same species just different colors

should be good, try and get a smaller one than the one you have now to try and avoid aggression issues

hey jake,

good luck with the tank. about the clowns, i have black and white ocellaris with a normal ocellaris and they are fine together. BL1 is right. the clown you add should be smaller than the one already established to avoid a fight for dominance.

Will definitly get a smaller one then. I'm glad they should get along my fiance was disappointed enough at not being able to get a tang right now, i would have hated to have to tell her we couldnt get the black clown either lol. Any suggestions on good fish for a 29gal tank? Something kinda bright and easy to care for?

Back