40 gallon breeder progression and questions

Angelajean

I know that I don't know
Thanks for the help.
I wanted to let those who have been so helpful that our 40 gallon breeder is moving along well.
I got the pumps all adjusted so we have minimal if any dead spots. I used a table shrimp and decided to be cautious and let tank cycle. We have had our ammonia spike at 1.0. Nitrates/Nitrites still 0. My son is happy.
After we have gone through the cycle of ammonia decrease, nitrites increase, then decrease while nitrates spike then everything ends up at 0, I think that is right?

Is a week sufficient to wait before adding our CUC? We have hermits, snails, a serpent star, and a porcelain crab in our Biocube which will now be our quarantine tank.

He wants to add firefish first, but they will go in quarantine for several weeks first. Are firefish better in a small school or can you have one. Here is the rest of the stocking list.
Firefish
Tail spot blenny (Is this okay with firefish?)
pair of percula or false percula clowns
maybe a dwarf angel coral beauty

I am sure this is too many fish so can you make a suggestion of what might go best together with coral since my camelback (bought as peppermint) shrimp did a pretty good job on the hammer coral. It appears to be okay once I got the shrimp out and back to the store.
Thanks,
Angie

Sounds like you're on your way...and yep, once the ammonia level starts dropping, you'll see the nitrites start to rise, and then once they start dropping the nitrates will rise. Once you only have nitrates, your cycle is complete, and then you can do a water change and add your cuc. There really is no time frame, sometimes a cycle can take a few weeks, while some can take a few days. Firefish prefer to be in small group(odd number in group), or can live solitary. Your list looks good, but I'd skip the dwarf angel, because they are prone to nip at corals. But if you want to take the chance(50/50), there would be enough room in there for him too.

Smitty,
My son says we can skip the coral beauty since it is taking a chance on a $40-50 fish that we may have to take back for a small amount of store credit in comparison.
Any ideas for a pretty colored fish? My husband likes some of the brighter colored fish, but we know we are limited to our tank size.
My son is loving the hobby especially since he wants to be a marine biologist. By the time, we're done with studying and analyzing maybe he'll give me a job as his assistance. Of course we are talking 10 years from now.

Angie

You could look into some of the reef safe wrasses. They have very nice, bright colors, are active, and won't take up much space in that size tank. Check out liveaquaria.com for some ideas.

Just a update. Our tank is coming along.
Ammonia 0
Nitrites .5
Nitrates 10
We had more of a spike on Nitrites yesterday.
Another question.
A friend has a fish only 75 gallon tank. He has had the tank for 7 years and he has a yellow tang, powder blue tang and a clown fish. He knows my son is into marine biology stuff and he wants to give him the whole setup. Everything I read says this is an extremely small tank for these guys. Feedback please. I think take the tank pass on the fish. We can later grow into that tank.

You are right -- the tangs will outgrow the tank (or maybe have outgrown it already). The clown is fine in it. I can tell you are hooked. :) It starts with one tank, and before you know it, you have tanks everywhere!

I think eventually the 75 would be the main the 40 the sump/ refugium tank. Not positive the term. I need to learn a lot more about it. I will need to get or have hubby help build a stand for the setup. If I only take the clown I can set the 75 aside until we are financially ready to set it up. Maybe get some pieces for Christmas for my son.
I am getting into this because my son is into it and it is his dream to be a marine biologist. I do enjoy it though. He has dyslexia and has never liked reading. We started getting into the tank and he has read everything he can get his hands on about various fish requirements, etc. If we are going to put the money into it my husband wants to make sure we are taking care of it. I homeschool so am home full-time therefore we have 1 income so I feel I need to learn as much as I can so I can guide him and teach him. This fall we are doing a marine biology class.
Thanks for the help.

I am so glad to hear that your son has caught fire with this tank and you have too! Its always really nice to hear a positive result from keeping these amazing creatures, besides just the pleasure they bring to our lives.

Well Sarah,
Trust me her was reading before but only what was necessary and not a word more. But now, I ask him what are you doing on the iPad and he says reading The Nano Reef handbook which I got off Amazon or Live Aquaria website or Tropical Reefkeeping magazine digital version. Also you tube videos. It is nice to see him reading without a fight or the Mom Look.
Thanks,
Angie
Angie

New question:
We took the live rock from our Biocube and put it into the new 40. Now it has turned a dingy gray color. It was more tan with a little green. Nothing is fuzzy or slimy, just gray.
Any ideas?

Rock is under brighter lighting. It went from 2 CFL 50/50 bulbs in the biocube with some LED lighting to 2 T5 HO 1 white/1 actinic. I am waiting for LEDs to come in. My husband order the components and will put the lighting together.
Angie

Well the rock looks better today. It was transferred from 1 tank to the other, about 5 feet from point A to point B.
Ammonia 0
Nitrites 0
Nitrates 0
Salinity is 1.025
We are about ready to add our CUC. How long do I need to wait to transfer the coral, zoas, mushrooms, hammer, toadstool and the surprisingly well doing flowerpot coral?
Thanks

Last edited:
Those corals can likely go in when the water parameters are sufficient for them (0;0;<5).

If it were me I would drip acclimate them, too, to be sure of a smooth transition...even if you're using the same salt and the same water source, the tanks will have very different water quality.

Ok so what a confusing message above. I meant the new tank may have the better water of the 2 because Saturday is our water change day. Very tired today. Sorry.

Back