55g reef

RomansReef

Reefing newb
here are a few pics. hope you all like.
Give me advice, comments anything LOL....

Attachments

• IMG00037.jpg
    IMG00037.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 303
  • IMG00104.jpg
    IMG00104.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 297
  • IMG00149.jpg
    IMG00149.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 333
  • IMG00108.jpg
    IMG00108.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 291
  • IMG00093.jpg
    IMG00093.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 339
pretty nice setup, you might look into some new lighting in order to help that GBTA out, he's white and bulbed out due to lack of lighting.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, or sound negative... but you need to get rid of that carpet. either take it back to the store, or find a very experienced reefer to take it.

I say this for a number of reasons. First, your lighting is nowhere near strong enough for a carpet, they require intense lighting (thinking super expensive T5 setup, or very nice MH setup with name brand bulbs). Second, water quality and stability are big issues. It does not take well to nitrates in the water, and swings in temperature and salinity. Being new to the hobby, and your tank being set up in the way that it is and without good protein skimming, it won't do well. Finally, FLOW! carpets needs tons of flow, but it has to be a very nice, alternating current. For example, if you purchased an MP40W for $420 I still would not recommend a carpet... I would be squeamish. To really provide the right flow for a carpet you'd need some sort of wave generator like a dump bucket to provide sudden surges of flow (an mp40w isn't close... and i'm obsessed with them).

I'm a firm believer that carpet nems, of any kind, should not be in the aquarium hobby. Their care is too difficult, their size is too large, there is too little education, and most of all, these carpets aren't captive bred. That means they're taken from the wild, and any clownfish that would have relied on it for protection, now does not exist.

Sorry.... Your system looks promising, we are glad to have you not only on this board but in the hobby, but please reconsider the carpet. Sucks, I know.

Pretty good start.
And I'm gonna have to agree with Nathan on the anemones.Not enough light there.Plus that big carpet will end up eating 90% of the fish you add.

Sorry to say it but im on board with these guys. Especially what was saiid about the nems being taken out of the wild. Its a really sad thing to me. I would recommend some more Live rock. your tank is pretty lacking on that side of things. Maybe remove that ceramic pot and add rock in its place too. that is a pretty non porous material that will not provide much biologial filtration like rock will. Glad your getting things started up and having fun with it thought. keep posting questions you may have and we will be glad to help you out with things.

more pic.............................

Attachments

• IMG00106.jpg
    IMG00106.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 295
  • IMG00153.jpg
    IMG00153.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 275
  • IMG00154.jpg
    IMG00154.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 300
Your anemones do look bleached out. They shouldn't be white in color. They are suffering from a lack of light, and possibly sub-par water quality that comes with a new tank, as well. Anemones are some of the most demanding animals that can be kept in this hobby, and they do not do well in most tanks. They especially do not do well in tanks that are less than a year old and have low lighting (like yours). When they get sick and die, they tend to kill everything else in the tank with them.

Carpet anemones are also notorious fish killers. They are great predators, and will gobble down your expensive fish. I've even seen a carpet eat its own clown!

With the way your anemones are looking, I'd say they are not long for this world. They should not look that way (pale, with big gaping, open mouths).

See this thread if you need further convincing:
https://www.livingreefs.com/forums/reef-talk/19127-help-dead-tank.html

NO they have color. nice color!!! you cant really tell cause my the camera im using. its a cell phone camera so maybe thats y.....

They are bleached. Its not the camera. If you dont get those outta there soon they will die and fould your whole tank. It will smell like a baby pooed in your tank.

Your anemones do look bleached out. They shouldn't be white in color. They are suffering from a lack of light, and possibly sub-par water quality that comes with a new tank, as well. Anemones are some of the most demanding animals that can be kept in this hobby, and they do not do well in most tanks. They especially do not do well in tanks that are less than a year old and have low lighting (like yours). When they get sick and die, they tend to kill everything else in the tank with them.

Carpet anemones are also notorious fish killers. They are great predators, and will gobble down your expensive fish. I've even seen a carpet eat its own clown!

With the way your anemones are looking, I'd say they are not long for this world. They should not look that way (pale, with big gaping, open mouths).

See this thread if you need further convincing:
https://www.livingreefs.com/forums/reef-talk/19127-help-dead-tank.html

My brother gave me an old T-5 set up with one ballast working, and one ballast not working. So my friend gave me a T-5 set up but this one has 2 long bulbs 2 white, and the other is white and blue (so 3 white and 1 blue). Should I use 4 little ones or 2 long lights? or should i add them all?

It's is a 36in Current Power Compact orbit fixture. but the other one i have that the ballast is broke is a T-5.... I need better lighting!!!

Back