6 week old new tank!

beav76

Reefing newb
Hello ya'll, back in college i had a 100 gallon and 150 gallon salt water, but that was years ago and in a college haze! I was lucky. knew nothing, hardly ever changed the water and didn't ever have a lose in 5 years till the great lionfish massacre in which 1 fish was left lying on the bottom of the tank with 6 fish in him, basically busting his gut and 1 tang half in half out fighting for its life! Well that was near the time i was moving across the country, so the survivors got donated back to local pet shop!

So now I have a 7 year old boy and want him to appreciate the mircale of a salt tank! 6 weeks old! Started with live sand and coral base! 25% live rock, and 75% non live to start! Somehow seemed to have cycled in about 2 1/2 weeks! All levels close to zero since them with 2 yellowtail damsels in since day 2(yes i know i need to trade at least 1 in, they're kinda aggressive) on week 4 i added a chromis, 4 turbo snails, 6 scarlet leg hermits, 2 emerald crabs, and a coral banded shrimp! 2 weeks later, no spikes in parameters and all seem happy! I plan on keeping it mostly a invertebrate tank with feather dusters and smaller fish, maybe 1 or 2 medium fish!

How long should i wait to safely get some bigger feahter dusters, urchins, conchs, etc! I know slow is best!

Thx for the advice!
ryan

PS! I own a home in tampa florida! What are thought about collecting some lil guys from sand bars down there and shipping them back up? Feasible, dangerous? How?

id get rid of that damsel and add 4 more chromis, small bioload. i say 4 because they have to be kept in odd numbers and a school of 5 would look great in an invert tank!

yeah thinking the 1 damsel is a must to go, the other isn't as aggressive so he may stay! Can't wait to try to catch the lil bastard! Like the thoughts of schooling chromis though! Why odd numbers only!?

also, i have a 7 year old so a few clowns are a must or my life will be hell explaing why we dont have nemo! lol, plus im using this as a learning tool!

Welcome aboard...you should definitely get rid of both of the damsels. As far as animals from the beach, check your local laws to be safe, but overall, it's not a god idea because wild caught animals carry diseases and parasites which could infect your tank. You'll only be able to keep two clownfish in a tank also.

thx im ultimately thinking 2 diif clowns, a goby or 2, some chromis and maybe a flame angle or other medium/small fish or 2. then a butt load of invertebrates! want to add a sump in a month or so to help, gonna try to create my own with a 10 gallon! i know, small but gonna use it more as a refugium than full on sump! thoughts?

Back