72X18X18 (100gallon) Reef Build

What awesome dimensions on your tank,Kosmo!Did you ever mention the what company made that tank?

I agree. If it is a Canadian product they will probably ship to Alaska. It would definitely be an efficient tank for SPS as lighting it intensely could be done cheaply. Three 150 HQI halides ought to make great lighting for SPS. Three inches off the water and let them rip. No supplemental, just the halides. Cheap, but good lighting. Shallow enough you could stack one on top another on top of another, and still not be to excessively high. One for a sump and two for frags and grow out. Long enough you could afford to give up a little space for air lifts for good circulation instead of expensive heat producing energy burning pumps, and then you would only need one pump to return water from the sump to the top tank. Bulk head an overflow from top to middle and middle to sump.

Last edited:
I've got a call in at my LFS store in regards to the manufacturer. Haven’t heard back in a few days (they don't move quickly....) but when i know, you'll know :D.

I'm glad everyone likes the tank's dimensions etc, i think its going to turn out great. Just a matter of time

also... as promised...

Jack Angry Jack Smash!!!
jakesmash.png

Kosmo.

note: it was rushed but still has a massive amount of awesome...

Update on the manufacture of the tank. The LFS I deal with (Tropics North, in Sudbury Ontario) sends its tank requests out to a place called Tropic Trim. Tropic Trim deals strictly with the plastic trim and supports built into the tank. They have their own injection molds etc, if you notice in the top of my tank there are plastic braces… believe it or not come water change time those brackets really limit the flexing of the glass and silicone joints, thus extending the life of your tank. From there they send the trim off to the group that actually assembles the tanks. Since my LFS deals with Tropic Trim he couldn’t give me an answer as to who assembled the final product but he believed it to be more than likely All Glass.

Beauty of it is Tropics North will ship anywhere and can get their hands on most anything (This time last year they brought in a Crock… just a baby… but cool as hell). So if you want one givem a call and they can hook you up easily enough.

Now FatMan you’ve mentioned a few times that you believe I could get away with good PAR readings in my tank while going with lower wattage, less expensive fixtures. Everything I’ve looked at so far over 72” is going to set me back nearly 900 on average. I was wondering if you had a specific product in mind you would be willing to suggest. Linky Linky.

thanks again!

Yea that sounds about right plus bulbs I imagine. If you do a DIY retrofit of some sort is where you will see the savings of lower wattage hardware.

For commercial use (aesthetics of viewing less important) I would only run three 150 watt HQI halides 6500 K or 10000 K over a tank with those dimensions. Where as with a deeper tank say 25" to 29" both of which are more common for a 72" long tank, I would have to run three 250 watt HQI halides minimum.
For a display tank of those dimensions, if I was paying straight retail for the lighting, I would still just use three 150 watt HQI halides but would switch to a bluer appearing light such as a 14000 K or even a 20000 K. That would be more than adequate light and supplemental lighting would not be needed. Supplemental lighting evolved as a way to provide more blue light in the days where about the only halide lighting that was available was 6500K bulbs. Except when T-5 lighting is used as a supplemental lighting (which would mean a retrofit or home built set up) the supplemental lighting provided is really more for aesthetics than for coral growth. seldom are lighting systems even tested for PAR performance that are combination systems. They usually test T-5 systems, halide systems (HQI and standard), VHO Flourescent, NO flourescent and Power Compact flourescent systems, not combinations of those. The PAR performance at any depth for any lighting but the T-5 or the halides is pretty dismal. Actually, VHO are OK, but are pretty much fading out of common usage.
Basically I would recommend 450 watts of HQI halide in a K value you find pleasing rather than a multi lighting type system.

Last edited:
Update!

So there hasn’t been a lot of action on the tank lately. I’ve had mad bills come my way seemingly out of the blue. Of course as much as I’d like to ignore them I can’t… greedy companies and their… greedy…ness.

Anyway, I picked up my pumps and some of the plumbing bits I needed. No pictures of the plumbing yet I should have some up by next week. Right now I’ve thrown in some of the live rock from my previous build as well as some temp lights to start the cycle. Friday of next week my skimmer, heaters, and power heads come in. Finally a few weeks later I should be receiving part of my lights.

I know fatman said it would be easy to light my tank, but very much in my style I think I went overboard… You’ll see what I mean… (no LED’s… I’m not paying 5grand for 72” LED light bar)

In the meantime, pictures!

pump.jpg

water1.jpg

water.jpg

waterrock.jpg

I'm with Bobby.That tank will be a breeze to work in.
Since its only 18"deep.Look into a set of T-5s.Their a whole lot cheaper than LEDs.A set of Nova Pros and I think you'd be unlimited in what you can keep.

Right so I’ve been slacking and REALLY taking my time with this build. I'm about 6 months in and my water parameters are perfect so I figured id start stalking the tank bits at a time.

So here we go!

Here is a side angle shot (none of the Full tank shots turned out and my cam died on me)
tankside.jpg

Here is a HUGE brain coral I picked up cheap, one of my LFS' is a FOWL setup yet he bring in corals sometimes. This brain was dieing and i pointed out that fact... Sort of gave the owner a bit of perspective i.e. (sell it to me cheaper now, or let it die and get nothing for it later) so I got a deal.
brain2.jpg

the Brain again. Hard to tell but its Metallic green with purple bands.
brain.jpg

Here are some neat Mushrooms, usually I’m not much of a mushroom fan, but these are a regular purple but have metallic blue patterns throughout.
shrooms2.jpg

And again
shrooms.jpg

Finally some small polyps, these caught me off guard because I never put them in my tank and the stone they are on had nothing on it other than algae... so it was a shock to see them growing.
polyps.jpg

Im in the middle of building a bigger sump as well, I'll have pictures of that project shortly.

Thanks for looking.

Back