75 Gal Sump Plans

phastroh

Do Not Listen To Me!!!
Yeah so after poking around I decided to try this design instead of the normal more popular ones.

I will have the water as it comes into the skimmer area possible run down some rubble rock to kind of keep the bubbles down. I have some extra Acrylic so I may make a little cove. That is if I have any room with this HUGE skimmer. I will also do the same for the fuge area. I was shocked when I opened the box for sure. It needs all the space I allocated for it if not more so this is a rough plan.

I will post the build in my tank build but just thought I would get some opinions. I will not be using sand only rock and chaeto. I couldn't get the acrylic routed for a drain look so I may attach some eggcrate to the inside.

The final measurements for the refugium and return may differ depending how I set the skimmer area and how and if I need extra room for the water coming in. If anything the refugium will shrink first. The tank is also 17 inches deep so it is huge period so shrinking them won't be that big of a deal.

My only issue with this set up is because I am using an Auto-Top Off and hate having to run a hose around the sump to the middle. I may if I can use PVC and make it nice and easily removeable.

NOTE: The ballvalve is so I can have the water slowly trickle into the refugium like I read at Melves(SP?)

NOTE: DAMN THAT SKIMMER IS HUGE!!!!!!!!!! I was like I feel like I am opening a store with this thing.

Attachments

• 75-Gal-Sump-Design.jpg
    75-Gal-Sump-Design.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 47,379
Last edited:
What is the benefit of having refugium off to the side like that?

Allows you to adjust the flow through the refugium, independent from the return pump. You want low flow with a refugium.

With the 'usual' setup (refugium in the center), the amount of flow is determined by the output of the return pump, which is often too fast.

Last edited:
when I designed mine I actually went with two tanks and kept the refugium up a foot higher so I could let it trickle to the pump section of the sump.. I to only have around 40 gph running through the refugium.. figured the slower the flow the more the chaeto could work on it..

looks good, i would install a ball valve on your return pipe as well. other than that, looks like a great sump!

You did a nice job with the diagram. Mine was a paint illustration with a bunch of unparallel lines...

looks good, i would install a ball valve on your return pipe as well. other than that, looks like a great sump!

Yeah I will. I forgot to slap one in there. I have one on my current set up and of course it is a must. I saw that after I posted it but didn't have time to go back and fix it. I had to make some ads at work.

I am a graphic artist so I use all the graphic programs and just whipped this up. I have made so many different sump s over time I should be slapped for forgetting the ball valve.

As I type it is all drying. I am also installing little boxes where the water comes in the skimmer section and fuge. I will cap them and probably put some rubble in them so the water runs over it on its way in.

Not worried about the fuge because it will be a slow entry but it will cut down on bubbles in the skimmer area.

I had the bubble trap center piece sitting on a vcr tape and took it out and it fell and ruined all the neat work I was doing so now the whole area looks like shart and I was so pissed I wanted to hit the whole thing with a hammer but if it functions ill live but when I post pix don't laugh haha.

If it was glass I could razor it clean but of course it isn't.

I also made an acrylic box to raise the skimmer 4 inches because the walls are all 12 inches and the skimmer output is a 2" pipe that goes from 8-10" high.

Will be leak checking only the skimmer and fuge tomorrow since I set those friday.

Last edited:
Back