75 Gallon Reef Tank Build from Scratch

Now on to the next discovery. I decided to test my ammonia levels last night to see if the new fish has had an effect on the tank. I used my API master test kit and came up with an ammonia reading of around 0.25 PPM. Well this had me worried and thinking I would kill my new fishies. So today I was doing some research on the accuracy of various test kits and decided to pick up a Salifert Ammonia test kit and run a sample when I got home. I came home, followed the directions on the little sheet, waited 3 minutes for the results annnnnnnnnnnnnnd....... nothing. No trace of ammonia what so ever whew!! So I guess the lesson I learned from all this was that the API test kits are really good if you just want to make sure you are within a certain range but due to my extreme OCD nature I need to choose a testing system that will give me more defined results and I'm no good a matching various hues on a color chart. So my next purchase will be either the ELOS testing kits or the Red Sea series that utilize the titrator. Any thoughts??

This morning I tested the nitrates with my old API test kit (a few months old?) which was almost empty and they read off the charts (it wouldn't be the first time :grumble:). :shock::shock::shock: So I tried my new API test kit and they read almost 0. :disappoin

alex i was up at finsanity today and ordered my leds. he said you might order later tonight that was around 730 did you order?

Nope. I probably will in the next few days. It takes for ever to get permission from my mother to order stuff... :grumble:

I also test my nitrates with the api test kit and my kit says my nitrates are at about 20. And then I bring my water to the store to be tested by another api test kit and they test zero. I think my test kit I bought was sitting on the shelf for a while and mouth be old? Idk but I have done weekly water changes since I set the tank up and haven't had any issues with fish or invert health. So I think my test kit is wrong.

I also test my nitrates with the api test kit and my kit says my nitrates are at about 20. And then I bring my water to the store to be tested by another api test kit and they test zero. I think my test kit I bought was sitting on the shelf for a while and mouth be old? Idk but I have done weekly water changes since I set the tank up and haven't had any issues with fish or invert health. So I think my test kit is wrong.

If you don't mix the #2 bottle long enough it makes a big difference.

Yea I shook that bottle like a crazy person and still the same. I even smacked it on the counter just in case anything was solidified on the bottom.

Today I received an additional 15 lbs of dry rock from BRS, some 2 little fishies seaweed and the accompanying seaweed clip. The Foxface is actively exploring HIS new rocks since the Percs are weird and have decided to live in a 6 inch space next to the left side of the overflow. I have attached a new FTS so please comment on my aquascaping. Sometimes I think it looks ok then other times I think it looks like a pile o rocks lol. I am thinking of maybe adding some shelf rock at the top next to the right hand side of the overflow to create another overhang and hiding spot for the Foxface.

Also, has anyone had any with their Foxface eating seaweed with garlic on it? My little guy refuses to eat it. I guess I have spoiled him by giving him live Caulerpa. UGH!!

Attachments

• FTS 11.10.2011-1.jpg
    FTS 11.10.2011-1.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 1,009
  • FTS 11.10.2011-2.jpg
    FTS 11.10.2011-2.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 1,238
Yeah thats what I have heard as well Fish. I was just hoping that I might have gotten lucky and picked a fish that would. I guess it is back to the LFS to find a seaweed sized rock to band this stuff to so I don't have to remove one of the big ones. I swear if I get one more pet that is picky I am going to go crazy lol.

You can train it to eat off the clip, I had to with mine. Use the rock and rubberband and when your FF starts eating from it, slowly move it towards the glass everytime you feed him. Then once it's next to the glass, just use the clip in the same place. And when he starts picking at the clip you can slowly move it from there to a place that's easier to put it. It can take a while for this whole process but in the end it's still easier then having to use the rock forever lol.

Thanks Brian! That is definately easier than the rock method. As soon as I can find a suitable rock to band the seaweed too I will definately begin Foxface food training lol.

Well after a long hiatus I have finally returned!! Since my last update I have added 3 firefish gobies and will soon have a Copperband Butterfly Fish. Because of the proposed new addition I have decided to setup a quarantine tank so that he has time to adjust and will not have to compete for food until he is eating well.

I have an old 29 gallon fish tank that was formerly a freshwater tank and has some grime along the sealant. I have already cleaned the majority of the tank with a light vinegar wash and tap water and plan on doing a complete cleaning this weekend. My question is..... If I clean the tank with a more concentrated vinegar wash and the grime still doesn't come off would it be ok to still use it as a quarantine tank and how can I be sure that the tank is clean?

Thought I would add some pics since I hadn't posted in a loooooong time. So here are some pics of Spike the Rabbitfish, a up to date FTS and the Firefish.

A few of you may remember that I was planning on doing a DIY LED light fixture. Well the time has arrived and the rapidled order has finally shipped. I decided to go with (2) 18-inch heatsinks, 24 Royal Blue LEDs, 18 Cool White LEDs, 6 Natural While LEDs and 4 moonlights. Later on they will be controlled by a Neptune Apex aquacontroller. My plan is to have a full write-up with pictures that may help others down the road.

Cheers!!!
~Daniel

Attachments

• FTS 01.24.2012.jpg
    FTS 01.24.2012.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 417
  • Spike 1.jpg
    Spike 1.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 342
  • Firefish 1.jpg
    Firefish 1.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 378
  • Firefish 2.jpg
    Firefish 2.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 573
Looks good!

But please dont get a cooperband butterfly. That is a fish best left in the ocean. I am going to copy this quote over from another thread on my local forum, posted by a very experienced, talented hobbiest here in Denver.

Good luck with copperbands. The first hurdle you will face is getting them to eat. After you have accomplished that your next step is keeping them alive during QT. After that is making sure they continue to eat in a reef setting (competition for food). The next hurdle is making sure that there are no fish even slightly harassing them. After that you have a SLIGHT chance that it will go after aiptasia. Even then they are very difficult to keep alive long term.

In other words this is a very very difficult fish, I would categorize it as "expert" only. It should only be attempted by someone who can dedicate the time, energy and patience for one (not saying you cant provide this Gabe, just want to make you aware of just how difficult this fish is). QT is also a MUST with this fish, not for diseases but getting them accustomed to captive life. We get them in on almost every shipment at Premier and our success rate is probably less than 20% with them, however demand is high due to the possibility they will eat aiptasia. I would say the chance of them eating aiptasia is around 20% as well.

I got a CBB a few months back and it did well in QT. Started off eating live black worms then live brine. Eventually I was able to get it off live foods and it started eating mysis. After being in QT it went into my display with no aggression from other fish. It ate well and started on pellets even. It was a very active fish and a great eater. About a week ago it hid in the rockwork for 2 days then I found my fire shrimp picking on it. It was still alive but could not swim. No sign of disease, stress or any issues before this. I euthanized the poor guy

If you do get a CBB please please QT it and spend plenty of time with it getting it ready for your DT. Please also let us know the progress!

Edit:
I also highly recommend reading the Copperband Primer before purchasing. A lot of good info which should help your success rate should you chose to get one.
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=1492696

And in reference to the tank cleaning...if the grime doesn't come out, I think you'll be safe to use it as a quarantine tank..actually, my reef tank has some grime under some of the silicone, from before I set it up, and it hasn't caused me or the livestock any issues.

Thanks Fish! I actually found and that same thread last night and was reading the Primer that was linked. There is a ton of good information there! The fish in question is still in mandatory quarantine at the LFS because just arrived and he had a run in with a wrasse. One thing that has me concerned is that he isn't eating so if that is the case I am definitely going to pass.

Back