75 gallon tank.. help

tgrover

Reefing newb
hi,

I am looking for a lighting solution for my balanced aquarium, I don't have any livestock that are too fussy.

I have a budget of $400 and I'd like a lights with an automated timer..

Any suggestions?

Tim

i have the 6 bulb 48 inch aquatic life fixture... it has an integrated timer that controls two different sets of t5s as well as moonlights all seperately for a very convenient 24 hour cycle.. the light is great! i have it over my 55 and i can keep any coral or invert with it... you would be able to do the same as its a bit more than necessary for me. i love the light though and the timer is great. all in one power cord too... i believe they also have a 4bulb system with all the same benefits....

Any 6-bulb T5 fixture will be fine. I'd pass on a 4-bulb T5 fixture for a 75; that won't be enough light. That 48" MH Odyssea fixture is more than enough light. Any of them would be fine.

Any of those 3 fixtures will allow you keep keep any corals, clams, anemones you want in your 75. The MH will give you a higher light/PAR output then the 2 T5s plus you'll get the cool shimmer effect. But, they'll run hotter (it hasn't effected te temp of my tank water though) and use more energy then the T5s.

Personally, I like metal halide's over any 'tube' or LED system. They shine like the sun and the bulbs last forever.

What about a simple timer you buy at home depot? And plug any lighting system into it? Or am I missing some other feature you want?

It doesn't really serve any purpose but make your tank look cooler to you at night. If you buy lights that don't include moonlights, they are cheap to purchase separately.

Check out these guys.
AquaticLife LLC | Premium Marine Aquarium Products

I have one of their lights on my 24 Nano. It blew a ballast almost 2 years after it was bought by someone else. They replaced it for me free of charge. They have integrated timers for all 3 lighting aspects built into the fixture as well so there is no need for a seperate timer, or pricey controler that you are only using for your lighting.

Back