a certain sticky?

Salty7663

Reefing newb
Can anyone tell me if there is one specific single sticky posted that gives you the best way to setup a complete reef tank? Say, for instance, to setup a 75 gallon or 125 gallon tank, what is the best equipment, ie., filters, substrate, refugium, protein skimmers, fish compatibility, etc :question:

Thanks,

Greg

Simple answer: no. Because everyone wants to do different things. How big do you want? What kind of fish and corals interest you? How big is your budget? I know the last is kinda personal, but it would greatly determine what equipment you get.

Simple answer: no. Because everyone wants to do different things. How big do you want? What kind of fish and corals interest you? How big is your budget? I know the last is kinda personal, but it would greatly determine what equipment you get.

Well, as for the budget, I already told the wife that this is going to be a hobby where I probably spend a few thousand on, so I don't want to go cheap, but I am also not Donald Trump, lol. Here is what I want to do:

– Tank: Lets just say I am looking forward to a 125 Gallon, give or take a few gallons,
but nothing less than a 75.

– Coral: I do not want to go crazy...I am inexperienced with coral so I would like to
start slow. Of course, nice corals, but hardy too. I love the anenomes
(spelling?, lol)

– Fish: I want compatibility! No if's, and's or, but's. Of course, all the fish I love are
either aggressive or coral eaters. This is a shame, but I do not want the fish
killing each other. Angels, Tangs, Butterflys, Clowns, etc...

– Maintenance: Wet/Dry filter. I am also inexperienced with this type of filter. Are
protein skimmers and refugiums necessary? If so, what kinds.

These are a lot of questions, so I will leave it at that for now. Thanks for responding and I will wait eagerly to hear more:trampolin

I would say that bigger is better :). Especially if you want tangs, they need at least a 6 foot tank (a couple of exceptions). Most corals are really not that hard to keep as long as your water parameters are good and you have good lighting. Some hardy corals are: mushrooms/ricordeas, zoanthids, xenia, and many others. And just so you know, an anemone isn't a type of coral, it's an invertebrate. It is suggested that you wait at least 1 year before getting an anemone as they are little harder to keep and require a stable tank with high lighting. You can use this site: Aquarium Fish: Tropical Freshwater Fish and Saltwater Fish for Home Aquariums A protein skimmer is necessary for that size tank. In saltwater, live rock and the protein skimmer are the filters. The external canister filters aren't that good for saltwater as they just become nitrate factories. A sump/refugium isn't necessary, but it would help. You can use a sump to hide equipment so that you don't have to see it in the display tank (you can hide your skimmer, heater, etc.) Just make sure you go slow and not too fast, that would only bring disaster. Make sure you research anything before you buy, it could save you a lot of money that way. If there are any other questions feel free to ask!

Okay. Go get yourself a 75 and put 2 EcoTech Radions over it. If you can, get a MP10 & MP40 inside there, too, but if not the Koralia brand powerheads are good, too, and you can get a wavemaker with those, but the EcoTech products all sync. Not really a downfall at all, just a cool plus if you have it. If you want corals, you do need a skimmer and BakPak and Reef Octopus both make good HOB versions or full sizze in-sump skimmers. Theres better, but not for the price IMO.

After that equipment, you just need a good quality heater, I recommend 2 smaller ones on a controller (in case one braeks, trust me that its worth it. itll never happen at a good time and some of your expensive corals are down the drain). Next is plenty of sand and 75-150 lbs of rock. Most people use ~90% base rock and seed the rest with a couple of live rock chunks to seed the dry stuff.

From there, a smaller tang species would probably do okay, but be prepared to upgrade or rehome later if need be. Youd have most equipment for upgrade anyways! Just another light and some more rock lol

Clowns, chromis, gobies (1 per tank), royal gramma basslets, firefish, some dwarf angels and other small to medium fish would do great.

For corals, I would start with leathers, mushrooms, zoas, kenya tree, frogspawn, hammer, bubble, star polyps, palys, and duncans. Moving next to candycane, montipora, birdsnest and favias/brains and finely to any sps and anemonies after 12+ months of STABLE water quality. That should give you more forgiving corals first, and as your water gets more stable and better quality, harder and less forgiving corals and anemonies.

Theres plenty of other choices out there for equipment, but thats what I would do, personally. Do your own research and ask about products you see that you like and go from there. Hopefully you get going soon, wed love to watch as you do.

Good luck, happy reefing and remember that nothing good happens fast.

I would get a reef octopus skimmer and yes it is necessary on a larger tank...I would do a refugium with chaeto as well, it will make your life easier when controlling nitrates

don't skimp on lights and a skimmer...buy the best you can

I would say that bigger is better :). Especially if you want tangs, they need at least a 6 foot tank (a couple of exceptions). Most corals are really not that hard to keep as long as your water parameters are good and you have good lighting. Some hardy corals are: mushrooms/ricordeas, zoanthids, xenia, and many others. And just so you know, an anemone isn't a type of coral, it's an invertebrate. It is suggested that you wait at least 1 year before getting an anemone as they are little harder to keep and require a stable tank with high lighting. You can use this site: Aquarium Fish: Tropical Freshwater Fish and Saltwater Fish for Home Aquariums A protein skimmer is necessary for that size tank. In saltwater, live rock and the protein skimmer are the filters. The external canister filters aren't that good for saltwater as they just become nitrate factories. A sump/refugium isn't necessary, but it would help. You can use a sump to hide equipment so that you don't have to see it in the display tank (you can hide your skimmer, heater, etc.) Just make sure you go slow and not too fast, that would only bring disaster. Make sure you research anything before you buy, it could save you a lot of money that way. If there are any other questions feel free to ask!

Thank you so much reefnoob...great information. Oh yes, I did hear that an anemone is not a coral, I don't know what I was thinking, lol...newbie mistake. I know that they need an established tank as well, so that will be an addition for the latter year. I'm sure we have all heard the famous saying, "slow and steady wins the race."

Okay. Go get yourself a 75 and put 2 EcoTech Radions over it. If you can, get a MP10 & MP40 inside there, too, but if not the Koralia brand powerheads are good, too, and you can get a wavemaker with those, but the EcoTech products all sync. Not really a downfall at all, just a cool plus if you have it. If you want corals, you do need a skimmer and BakPak and Reef Octopus both make good HOB versions or full sizze in-sump skimmers. Theres better, but not for the price IMO.

After that equipment, you just need a good quality heater, I recommend 2 smaller ones on a controller (in case one braeks, trust me that its worth it. itll never happen at a good time and some of your expensive corals are down the drain). Next is plenty of sand and 75-150 lbs of rock. Most people use ~90% base rock and seed the rest with a couple of live rock chunks to seed the dry stuff.

From there, a smaller tang species would probably do okay, but be prepared to upgrade or rehome later if need be. Youd have most equipment for upgrade anyways! Just another light and some more rock lol

Clowns, chromis, gobies (1 per tank), royal gramma basslets, firefish, some dwarf angels and other small to medium fish would do great.

For corals, I would start with leathers, mushrooms, zoas, kenya tree, frogspawn, hammer, bubble, star polyps, palys, and duncans. Moving next to candycane, montipora, birdsnest and favias/brains and finely to any sps and anemonies after 12+ months of STABLE water quality. That should give you more forgiving corals first, and as your water gets more stable and better quality, harder and less forgiving corals and anemonies.

Theres plenty of other choices out there for equipment, but thats what I would do, personally. Do your own research and ask about products you see that you like and go from there. Hopefully you get going soon, wed love to watch as you do.

Good luck, happy reefing and remember that nothing good happens fast.

:bowdown:kbuser92, also so very valuable information. Thank you so much...saving all this to a file as we speak...Unfortunately, it is going to be a while before I start (a few years from now, but that just tells you how excited I am to start,lol) I am just doing some beginning research. Of course, once I get started, hopefully all you guys will still be on here so you can watch my obsession grow

Back