A few questions...

DesoShade

I'm a noooooob
I started setting up my aquarium. Putting together my filter just now and have some questions about it. My first question is, there's this attachment that connects mid-way on the intake tube called a "mid-level intake strainer". Um. What is that for? I can open or close it... should it be open or closed? :question: Oh, and I have the penquin 350 on a 30 gallon tank. It has room for 2 filters. I'm sure it's probably better to have 2 filters installed, but since this is only a 30 gallon tank, can I have just one filter installed? Will save me a little money. :mrgreen: One more question. Um, I don't have any fish yet. I don't even have any water yet... lol but do I have to install the filter during the cycle period or can I wait until I start adding fish?

Silly questions, I know.

The mid-level strainer is there to pull water out of the middle of the water column.Its your choice as to weather or not to leave it open or close it.

I personally would run both filter pads.Its got the 2 slots for a reason.And go ahead and run it while your tanks cycling.It will help keep that gunk off the surface of your water.

I used to run the same filter on my 30.

Yeah,I ran a penguin 350.It done what it was supposed to.My biggest complaint with it,It caused a lot of salt creep.

Thats where bubbles pop on the surface of the water,and cause the salt to build up on the sides of the tank,around the filter.Generally makes a mess.

it won't mater much. Salt creep is a part of the hobby. I clean it off the back of the tank, sump, overflow box top, return pump hose, lights, covers, my hair, etc, monthly. You get used to it.

-Dr Marco :sfish:

Back