A few questions

912jake

Reefing newb
Ok so I have a 30 gallon tank and went to the LFS today a purchased a coralife superskmmer the 65g as well as a normal fluorescent light. My first question is the skimmer mentioned a good choice? Also I plan on returning the light I bought and ordering a coralife aqualight t5 Ho dual lamp which comes with 10,000k daylight and actinic blue lamps once again is this a good choice? For now it will only be fish and live rock I don't plan on any coral in this tank. Alll I have for the tank is the skimmer and a filter that hangs on the side dunno what kind is there anything else I really need to have? And one last question I know using reverse osmosis water would be best but we have a pur water filter on our sink so what I'm asking is if that would be ok? I know it's not as good but it's boUnd to better than tap water. If I have to I'll go to walmart and buy 30 gallons of RO water but I live in a second story aparment and the thought of packing those things upstairs isn't a good one. Thanks in advance for reading this and hopefully replying sorry it's so long winded but figured it would be best just to get it all out at once.

Good luck with your project.
My first question is the skimmer mentioned a good choice?
Sorry, but no. That's not really a good skimmer by any means, but it's better than nothing.
coralife aqualight t5 Ho dual lamp which comes with 10,000k daylight and actinic blue lamps once again is this a good choice? For now it will only be fish and live rock I don't plan on any coral in this tank.
That's fine for a tank with no corals.
we have a pur water filter on our sink so what I'm asking is if that would be ok?
No. That type of filter is pretty much useless as far as producing the high quality water we need for a reef tank. You can use the water it produces, but you may run into algae problems.

The main thing with the super skimmers,is their under powered.At least IMO.
Well that and being so touchy.I ran for right at a year,then upgraded to an ETSS skimmer.And I'll admit that I thought the CSS was a good skimmer,until I seen the difference myself.

Ok Capt, why isn't that a good skimmer? I've had mine for years with now problems, though the bigger version.
Being that I bought 1 when they 1st came out...and have used a few other skimmers, my experience with them says:
They are way over priced.
They are hard to adjust and never produce good skimmate when it is adjusted right.
They flood.

The only problem I've had with my CSS is that sometimes, even if you don't adjust it, the size/amount of bubbles will change, which because a major pain.

Back