A few questions

SoccerPro522

Reefing newb
First, I got this brown rust colored algae growing all over my tank but if it simply touch it, it goes away... I had my LFS check my water and they told me my water was fine just the salinity was a little high... around 1.025 ro 1.026

Second, I have searched the forums and i cant find how to get rid of microbubbles... i thought it was something to do with the protein skimmer but i could be wrong

Third and final, anybody have a good way to clean the class top of an aquarium... no matter how hard i try i cant get them clear they are always foggy and it is blocking the light.

PS I got a ton of new stuff since I've posted last... Ill try to get pictures up if the fish decide to co-operate but they are a little skiddish right now:bounce:

+1 vinegar and water solution works very well.
The brown/rusty stuff are diatoms, they'll go away after while, just continue to do w/c's.
Where are the microbubbles coming from?

It won't affect them, it's safe. You should get rid of the glass tops all together though. Not only are they blocking light, they're restricting oxygen exchange and trapping heat in your tank. Just so you know, salinity at 1.025-1.026 is just fine.

I leave them open for awhile i just close them at night... also the sump has a high water exchange surface area... the microbubbles are coming from the thing that puts the water back in the tank after it has run through the sump

You've either got a leak somewhere in your lines that is sucking air in, or your return pump is taking in bubbles from something in your sump. Turn off your pieces of equipment in the sump one by one and see if the bubbles disappear to find the source. Or try adding a layer of sponge at the return pump intake.

Are you using tap water? The brown algae sounds like diatoms which normally go away on their own but if you are using tap water it can continue to add silicates to your tank, which they require to make their shells.

nope, as long as you use RO water for W/C they will go away on there own, also make sure your not over feeding

I was reading on other sites and they said Cerinth Snails are good for controlling them and they also eat other things so its not like when the diatom explosion ends so will they

Yes, cerith snails are great. There's no guarantee they will eat it though. But they are good members of a clean up crew for your tank regardless.

Back