A near toxic mishap

Hiker4twenty

Reef enthusiast
Well I was fragging some zoo's over the weekend and forgot to put my goggles on. Everything was going just fine, but then a little squirt happened. It landed about 1/2" below my left eye. I immediatly washed my face several times and flushed my eye with cold water for a few minutes for good measure. My face was burning a bit for a few hours, but everything turned out fine...luckily!

So I went to Lowes and bought a full face grinding mask to wear. It covers my whole face, ears and most of my throat.

Yesterday I went to the hardware store and bought everything to set myself up with a frag station. I installed a basin wash sink, bought a magnifying clamp light, exacto knife and a bunch of replacement blades, tweezers, sheers to cut the rock or coral skeletons and of course the grinding mask I got the other day. Oh yeah, rubber gloves as well. I think I'm set up good now.

Hey everyone!
So, corals....why are zoas so posionious? What is inside of them that makes them so bad? Don't know much about zoas as you can tell...please enlighten me!
Thx!:D

......please enlighten me

Most corals contain a poison that they secrete as a defense or protection from other corals. fish, crabs, etc. When fragging a zoo and other corals you often apply pressure causing the popping of the fluid from the coral. Kinda like a pimple! :shock: This poison can cause severe damage if it happens to "squirt" into your eye. If left on the skin it can cause a nasty rash like outbreak. In short wear protection!

Last edited:
Hey everyone!
So, corals....why are zoas so posionious? What is inside of them that makes them so bad? Don't know much about zoas as you can tell...please enlighten me!
Thx!:D

They have a palytoxin inside of them.It can make you very sick and for some who are extra sensitive/allergic,kill them.

I remember reading an article where a kid working at a LFS somewhere rubbed his eyes after bagging some zoanthids and was permanently blinded by the toxins on his hands.

Back