A newb intro from Newbreefer

NewbReefer

Reefing newb
Well i guess i should start off by saying keep up the good work on these forums, lots of good info! My name is Jonathan im 22 and im getting back into the hobby, i've had a setup before but we didn't know what we were doing and kinda gave up :grumble: Im in the middle of setting up my 72g bowfront that will be a reef tank. i have my sump setup to house the refugium and skimmer. I have my 48" Current USA's Outer Orbit HQI/T5HO lighting system
Outer Orbit HQI/T5HO | Current What's Next
which has 2x250w 10k MH, 4x54w actinic's, and blue and white lunars. I built the stand myself and plan on building a canopy to sit just under the light. i built the sump outta a small aquarium. I'd post pics but it isn't uploading my files to the gallery, not sure why, it just goes to a blank page after uploading but then it doesn't upload.

Hi and welcome to the reef.
Try looking in the gallery to see if maybe it was just slow opening after you uploaded it.
If you have any questions,just ask and some body will be able to answer it.

Welcome to site
Sounds like your well on your way to having a sweet setup.
Before you upload photos check to see if the photo is 640x480 or smaller.It wouldn't upload for me either until I resize them.Oh by the way I use Paint to resize.Hope this helps,good luck.

3.jpg

4.jpg

2.jpg

1.jpg

I'll post a pic once i get the substrate and LR in there and fill it up, i thought it would be kinda interesting to put together a line chart showing the Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate lvls each day, so i'll post that aswell once the cycle is complete. Thanks for all the welcomes :D

Hi Jonathan, and welcome!!! The ppl here on this site are great folks...truly a helpful bunch!!!

Let me know how those lights work out for ya...they look WAY bright...I have 75 gallon, and I'm torn between the Outer Orbit MH/T5 and the Nova T5fixture....

will do Matt, so far i like the outer orbit but it's to soon to tell. I just started the cycle today. I plan on running these about 8-10 inches over my tank once the cycle is over, right now im only runnin my halides about 2 1/2 hours a day and my T5's for about 4 hrs.
What do you guys think of the aquascaping so far? i plan on doubleing over time what i have in there now, just couldn't afford to fork out $350 at once for LR. the stuff i got already has a good amount of purple corline algea (however you spell it) on it. hopefully it florishes :?

1_48577.jpg

That is really the best way to do it - slowly over time. It has taken me years to build up the live rock the way I like (granted.. I didn't add any for about a 3 year time frame).

Tank is looking good.

If you have the patience - take a look at lace rock as a live rock alternative... it's much less expensive and you can fill your tank up for probably less than 1/2 the cost of live rock. Granted- that is if you have someone that sells it near you...

Newb...I love your rock!!! Looks kinda like some Tonga Deepwater that I was looking at online not to long ago.

Nice going buddy....keep up the work....it's looking great!!!

The Rock i got is known as Pukani rock and comes from off the shores of Fiji, but it is actually coral that has died or got broken off in storms that nature then turned into live rock. It's very poreouse. one of my pieces actually has a 2" piece of SPS coral skeleton on it. I guess it's suppose to be in high demand and rare, guess i need to gather some more $$ and get some more before it's all gone.

Heres a link to a place that sells it and has some pics
Oceanpro Aquatics - Online Store: Pukani Premium Live Rock - Pre-Cured - By The Pound

Last edited:
Back