A novices attempt at 75 gallons

Thanks! Everything is going great so far except for one little thing.

ALGAE!!

It turns out the lights we got with the tank were over 3 years old, so I bought some new MH bulbs a couple of days ago. We're using all RO water and ammonia, nitrate and nitrite levels are at 0 so I don't think it's water quality. Could it have just been the old bulbs? Any tricks on how to get rid of it?

It could definitely have been the old bulbs! If your water quality is good and you are not overfeeding, then it will go away on its own after switching bulbs, but it can take time. Remove as much by hand as you can, keep up with water changes and get a good clean up crew.

Hmm, some people on the used websites just don't want to make a sale... After numerous e-mails and phone calls, I called 'er quits. No new coral. :(

I've been speding the time instead to figure out this phosphate reactor that came with the tank. The guy before had no media in it. I bought some and blundered my way through the set up process.

I'm concerned it's not "bubbling" enough, though. It's kind of like a simmer, where the media is bubbling up to about a centimetre high. Is that enough flow? I have an old powerhead 802 hooked up to it.

A really nice guy came by and dropped off a bunch of coral frags for a steal yesterday. Helped me set them all up, answered a bunch of questions and let me use his reef glue.

DSC_7855.jpg

DSC_7850.jpg

Devils Hand
DSC_7849.jpg

Zoos
DSC_7840.jpg

1 of 3 montipora frags and xenia
DSC_7839.jpg

They all seem mostly fine so far. A bunch of the mushrooms fell off of their rock, though. Kinda' bummer. Maybe I just need to glue them back on.

Checked the water today and had a bit of a nitrate spike. Measure around 10 or 20. Everything else was fine though. I also started up my phosban 150 a few days ago, could that have anything to do with it?

Thanks, team!

Next up, I'm hoping to pick up a 29g long tank tomorrow that will be my new sump/refugium. I've been trolling around trying to get ideas and have come up with this super simple set up. Any improvements I can make?

possiblesump.jpg

The divider is to try and keep the growing chaeto away from the skimmer and the pump. I know eventually I shouldn't need the skimmer with an algae scrubber, but I'm definitely not ready to take that leap as of now!

You will probably want to add a bubble trap in between the skimmer and return pump. Skimmers produce a lot of bubbles, and those will get sucked up and spit back into the display without a bubble trap.

Also I wouldn't just put a valve from the overflow like that to your algae scrubber, you generally want the down spout to be unrestricted. Why not try making a tee to the algae scrubber then the other part drains into the tank and put the valve on the part that drains into the tank. That way you can have all the flow from your overflow and still control the waterflow to the scrubber.

You want the skimmer to be before the scrubber and chaeto, or your skimmer will take up a lot of the beneficial pods and other things.

I would drop the chaeto, I think, because the scrubber itself will supply most of the nutrients to the tank and provide its own place for pods to live. Plus, the chaeto might interfere with the scrubber's growth (as will the skimmer).

Putting the return section in the middle allows the scrubbed water to avoid the skimmer. Although you might want to tee off the return line and divert some of the water back into either the scrubber or skimmer chamber, for flow adjustment.

possiblesu.jpg

The other question would be, why are you using a skimmer when you're going to be using an algae scrubber? Isn't the whole point of an algae scrubber so you don't need a skimmer?

Planning on it.

Where do you all buy the acrylic for the dividers? Like a home depot place? Will they cut it for you? What kind of silicone do I need?

Back