a question about skimmers and refugiums

crythzuel

Reefing newb
hello everyone. id first like to say thanks to all for all the useful info you guys explore and share. ive been lurking here for a couple of months now learning as much as i can. a valuable resource for sure.

im new to saltwater and reefs and am beginning to set up my first large reef tank yet im still in the learning and design stages. just now getting the gear together after a couple months of learning as much as i can. its been... a wonderful nightmare.

i have a question about sump/refugium/skimmer configuration. ive been looking through and trying to understand a ton of diy plans on the topic. there are still some holes in my info in crucial places though. i see alot of plans that place the skimmer in the early stages, before the refugium. i also see alot of info that states that the refugium should have unskimmed water to properly complete its processes. in my setup, im trying to have as little plumbing as possible. in my sump setup i would just like the pluming coming from the display tank on one end, and the return on the other. i like the look and feel of the plans that place the skimmer next to the overflow coming from the display tank without t'ing off the overflow to aid in supplying the refugium. my question is this....

it would appear that in this type of design, the tank overflow feed to the sump, the skimmer, the intake for the skimmer, and the put out of the skimmer all would sit in the same chamber in the sump. from there it would go to the refugium. so with all this going on in the same chamber.. what kind of water would be going to the refugium? am i correct in assuming that because all of this would be going on in the same chamber that the water getting to the refugium would be a mix? some of it being skimmed, and some not?

im trying very hard to make a clear picture of some of the science behind the course of events in the sump chambers but am having some difficulty. any input would be wonderful.

thanks for your time.

cory.

Hello and welcome to the site...glad to have you. In the basic design of a sump, there are 3 chambers...the 1st being where the overflow goes into from the tank, and also where the skimmer sits. The 2nd chamber is where you would have your refugium, and the 3rd chamber will house your return pump.

+1 smitty, I really don't think there's a "wrong" way to do it, and trust me there will be ajustment's until it's fine tuned.and then ya get the dreaded hinesite disease, jk ..

Back