Acan Help

BigH55

I'm that guy
I got some acans a week ago and they are not opening very well. They open some but do not look the way they looked in the store. I put them at the bottom of the tank which is 40 inches deep and it has 2-250w MH and 2 96w actinic lights. I put under an overhang at first and it didnt work. I moved them out farther and they are still not that great. Help please.:frustrat:

If the PH or salinity in the bag was much different than your tank,it may have shocked them a little.Not saying thats the cause,but its something to look at.
I know that if I dont acclimate my corals the same as inverts,it usually takes them longer to settle in.But if I drip em,they'll usually be fully opened within a few minutes of adding them to the tank.

Good point. Theres no necrosis so i they are not dying. Yet. Ive never kept them before so im not real farmiliar with them. Ive got a buddy with an aestablished SPS tank to put them in if they go south. Ill give it some time and maybe bring the salinity down a little on my tank. Its around 1.026 which is a little high to me.

mine took a cupple days to open up large also mine are doing awsome and i only have a t5 with two bulbs so maby thay are getting too much light i would try leaving them lower for a cupple days

What kind of lighting where they under before?
I would say they are probably not getting enough light if your tank is 40" deep and they are at the bottom. Even 250w MH's can't penetrate that deep.

Okay I moved them to about half way up the tank. I see what it does. Hopefully it works out better. The lower light at the bottom is probably why my Frogspawns and torches do well.

acans are lower light corals so if they arent opening that would mean too much light, if they were opening up a lot and like reaching the polyps off the rock thatd mean too low light. what kind of flow where they under

Back