acan help

FishyReef

Broke Reefer!
Hey guys

My 2 acan colonies have been looking pretty crappy since last weekend and I can't figure out why they aren't recovering. My alk was really low last weekend at 1.7 meq/l - I dosed my tank that day and again 2 days later with Seachem Reef Builder to raise only my alkalinity. On Monday I checked it after dosing the second time and it was up to 3.0 meq/l. I checked it again on Tuesday and it had risen a little higher to between 3.5 - 4.0 meq/l (I think this was because I've been using the same containers for dosing and top-off, and there was probably a little residue left in the container that I topped off with on Tuesday morning). Today my alk is back down to 3.0. Nitrate is roughly 5, pH is 8.2 (it has been 8.2-8.3 every time I've tested it). Salinity is 1.026. I'm guessing my acans shrunk down because my alk was so low, but why haven't they recovered yet? Only new additions were a few SPS colonies that are placed much higher in the tank than the acans. Both acan colonies have been in the same spot in the tank since April. Anyone have ideas?

Oh, I was also getting a lot of microbubbles after rearranging my sump a week and a half ago. Shut my skimmer off for a few days because I was worried about the microbubbles. Finally got a sock filter to help cut down the bubbles yesterday and the skimmer has been running again since then. Last water change was 1 week ago, and I plan to do another tonight. Phosphates were a little elevated over the weekend (but it was the first time I ever had them tested so I'm guessing it wasn't a huge change from how they always are in my tank). I have a few other corals that haven't been so happy lately (1 duncan colony, 1 zoa colony, austrolomussa continuing to bleach), but overall most of my corals are as happy as ever including my SPS. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Have u been feeding them? I find my a cans don't look to good unless I feed them meaty foods like twice a week.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GsfBjsPavJw&feature=youtube_gdata_player]Acanthastrea Coral Care and Propagation - YouTube[/ame]
I found this informative

I haven't been feeding them any more or less than usual - and honestly they are one of the few corals that doesn't show much of a feeding response when I do feed. I have one orange/green one and one green/purple one - the green purple one shows a better response. At this point the orange one is completely shrunken, and green/purple is almost entirely shrunken. Also no sign of any brown jelly or anything that I can see bothering them.

If they did shrink because of low alk, how long would they normally take to recover?

Back