Access to back of tank??

Murph

Reefing newb
So I'm still going back and forth between waiting 6/7 months and going big, or going with a nano and getting that started relatively soon. One of the things i'm worried about is the space where I would have the big tank is a kind of cubby that's built into my family room. I've got a small tank there now that I can reach around and over, but with a 48 incher and lights I won't be able to physically get behind the tank or the sump (I'll be cutting a hole in the wall to use the empty cavity beneath the tank) once they're in place and full. I think in an emergency I'd be able to move lighting to check piping or drain the sump... But I imagine that would stink. Anyone have a setup similar or is access to the back pretty important?

Im kinda confused, and picture would be helpful. But i dont get why you cant leave the hole in the wall to get continued access from behind.

Also, most stands have doors in the front for front access to sumps, which is what most of us use.

th_83050_P2170024_122_1124lo.JPG

Not sure how good you can see this... Gotta fine tune the image uploading skills. But the red box is a wall i'm going to have to cut out to store the sump. So I'll just be building a cabinet or whatever to hide it. I'll have no problem getting access to that, i was just worried about the top half. Once the tank fills that space there won't be a way to get in behind. Might be worrying for no reason...
img.php

I would just put doors on the area you are going to cut out, and then put any equipment that you have to have go over the edge of the tank on the side where you can get to it. Then put some tall plant or something there to disguise it.

you can get a tank with built in overflows that come out the bottom so would not have to get to the back of the tank for plumping

you can get a tank with built in overflows that come out the bottom so would not have to get to the back of the tank for plumping

That may be what I end up shopping for. Then I'll just have to cut a small hole in the wood for the drain and returns. Should be no problem... Thanks again.

Word to the wise, leave at least 3 1/2 inches all around. I screwed up and only have 1 1/2 inches on the left and back wall on my 300 gallon. I cannot put an mp40 on the back or left. I even have a hard time getting the magnet to a Koralia anywhere closer than 4 inches back and 3 inches down.

Back