acer's 120

acerhigh

just a reefer
I've been thru my share of tanks.... mostly upgrades... some downsizing as well though... several years ago I had a 156 gallon... 60x24x24, plus a 29 gallon tank plumbed into the same sump... between the 2 tanks... I ran 4 250 MH's... plus an assortment of VHO's, plus a chiller, a UV sterilizer, and a total of 7 pumps and 3 heaters... needless to say the electric company loved me.. I decided to cut my cost and go smaller.... at first I thought I could sell most of my stuff..... keep what I wanted in the 29 gallon and be happy...... however it was within the first couple weeks I realized that 29 gallon was WAY too small.... so.. I got a 60 tall..... (36x18x22) I built the stand and canopy for it... got everything up and running... got a few new corals... a few new fish... and within 8 months..... it was packed again.... all the corals.... (primarily zoanthids) were growing over the top of each other... everything was happy for the most part..... I spent the next 1 1/2 years looking at the tank... thinking, "I gotta thin this out" and looking at all the coral for sale places saying, "no I don't have room for that". Actually got bored with the hobby as there was nothing I could really do other than waterchanges and clean the tank.... I was faced with a decision.... get out..... or go bigger... I really can't imagine getting out of this hobby... it has brought me so much enjoyment over the years that life just wouldn't seem the same without it... so I decided to upgrade...

I had made a personal decision even before I decided to upgrade not to go with anything less than 24" wide... so I decided on a 120 gallon tank. Not too big, not too small.. So, enough of the history lesson... here is my setup...

I built the stand and canopy from 3/4 oak plywood.. The tank is built by Aquatic America in Hemlock Mi.

This stand and canopy are pretty much the same design I built for my 60 gallon tank... I liked them well enough... why change.

I didn't really take construction pictures..... sometimes I wish I had...

the canopy is pretty simple...
IMG_0228.jpg

the part that is kinda unique is that once you open the door in the canopy, you can remove the front section of the canopy by sliding it up and out... so you get full access to the top of the tank.... no working thru the tiny opening the door provides. the only picture I have of this to explain it is from my 60 gallon tank that I built.. same design. this is with the removable section just slid up a bit to show how it comes out.
new60-0517-1023.jpg

the lighting... 4 54W t5 bulbs overdriven by an icecap 660 are hooked into a wooden light bar inside the canopy... then that light bar is completely suspended by brass chains in each corner from the top of the canopy.. This way I have complete control in raising and lowering the lights. i can also just raise the front of the lightbar if I need to gain more access to top of the tank without removing the canopy. I have 9 Large blue 460nm LED lights installed in the lightbar for moonlights... I used philips deck lights for those.. [ame]http://www.amazon.com/Philips-Aurelle-Deck-Light-Blue/dp/B000FFB3AG[/ame] They worked out great... and I got them on ebay for $35 I removed the frosted cover that is installed in each light.

The stand is extra tall.... (43") I like them taller so there in no bending over when viewing the tank... it also gives lots of overhead room inside the stand for a taller skimmer if I change that. I have a 50 breeder that I made into a sump/fuge. I use a mag 12 for a return pump... and a sequence dart feeds an oceansmotions super squirt for the closed loop. I have about an 8" piece of locline installed in each upper corner of the tank... these all go to the super squirt. Because the Dart exceeds the rated input of the super squirt I have the output line teed off to a bulkhead on the right rear of the tank that has an outlet that is pointed across the tank behind the rockwork to help stop detritus from settling. here are some pictures of the sump and plumbing.
sump002.jpg

right side
IMG_0261.jpg

left side
IMG_0262.jpg

and the FTS please forgive the mess around the tank.
IMG_0279.jpg

I run a tunze osmolator topoff system that pumps water from 2 32 gallon rubbermaid trash containers into a deltc KM500 kalk stirrer, and then into the tank as needed for topoff. I also run a Korallin C1502 Calcium Reactor that is controlled by my neptune systems aqua controller.

My current fish is:
Sailfin Tang
White Cheek Tang
pair of Mated (but not spawning) saddleback clowns.
solar wrasse
a purple psuedochromis (dottyback)
randalls shrimp goby
cleaner wrasse
a couple peppermint shrimp
2 emerald crabs.
long spine urchin
large brown brittle star
a couple snails

The reef is a mixed reef.... with a little bit of everything...

Here are a few of the coral that I have:

candycane.jpg

eagleeye.jpg

lobo.jpg

milli.jpg

neoncandycane.jpg

palys.jpg

pinkpocci.jpg

pinkpaly.jpg

redshroom.jpg

I hope to continue filling this tank as compared to my last tank, I have tons of room now!!!!

Thanks for letting me share..

Dan

slimer.jpg

trach.jpg

tyreetoadstool.jpg

xenia.jpg

xmasfavia.jpg

I hope to continue filling this tank as compared to my last tank, I have tons of room now!!!!

Thanks for letting me share..

Dan

you have a beautiful tank. I also have a 120gal tank and I am just coming out of my cycle now. You have a very nice setup also. beautiful corals too.

thank you all for the nice comments..... I do truly love this hobby...... don't always love the expense of it...... but of all the hobbys I've had it is truly the most rewarding...... I'm thankful that I have this tank in my office at work where I get to enjoy it all day long! as soon as I get the hang of taking good pictures of my fish, I'll post them too.....

thanks again...... I appreciate it.

Dan

for some reason, the edit button is gone in this thread...... or I would have added this in my original post...... I had forgotten to mention that I use an ASM G3 skimmer... I empty the collection cup once per week usually... the fuge is filled with about 25 lbs of live rock and filled with chaetomorpha which I need to thin every couple weeks cause it grows so fast.... too bad all of you are so far away... I'd give it away.......

here's the sump "in action"
IMG_0250.jpg

now the edit button is here....... but only in this post.... something to do with the "quick post window?" anyway, I use a lights of america flood light over the fuge..... it's a 60W PC bulb that supposedly puts out 500W of light.. rated at 6500K...... grows the chaeto like crazy!!!

Last edited:
Some new stuff I picked up this weekend!

Finally found a healthy Elegance Coral...... Absolutely love it!!!!

eleagance.jpg

some deepwater zoanthids!

orangeyellowdeepwater-1.jpg

bluedeepwater-1.jpg

orangedeepwater-1.jpg

yellowdeepwater.jpg

and a few others!

duncan.jpg

eagleeye-1.jpg

closedzoa.jpg

finally managed to get some decent shots of some of the fish too.....

saddleback.jpg

saddleback1.jpg

sailfin.jpg

solarwrasse.jpg

whitecheek.jpg

I had just finished feeding the tank.... that is the specks you see in each picture of the fish.

Back