Acro not happy

lightcs4

Loving to learn
I have an olive colored Acro that has been in the tank for about three months. It was quite happy at first. I had it toward the top of the rock, which is four to six inches below the surface of the water. The tank is 22" high. About three weeks ago, I noticed the bottom of the Acro starting to turn white. I didn't want to move it as it seemed content for over two months with no bleaching at all. Yesterday I noticed the bleaching had moved up a couple inches so I decided to frag it onto a smaller rock that I could easily move to other locations. I now have five frages from 1.5" to three inches tall. I have two stylophora that have been doing great for several months.

My question is, what would cause it to start bleaching? I'll give as much information as I can. Parameters are good; 8.3 PH, 0 ammonia and nitrite, and less than .0 - 5 on nitrate. Salt is a little lower than I would like at 1.023. I am working it up very slowly. It started at 1.022 and I want to get it to 1.025. I have a 250 watt MH fixture with 6700/10K dual PCs on one side and actinics on the other side. I run MH for five hours in the afternoon, the PCs stay on for most of the day (6:30 AM until around 8:00 PM). I've read a lot of research that states high flow and high lighting but that doesn't provide any real measurement. I do have a good bit of flow around them. I do know that my phosphates are a bit high (zero measurement but green algea is growing in a couple spots).

Thanks in advance for any input.

is there any direct flow on them. they like a lot of flow but not right on them. i had one sps that did good for weeks than in a couple days it was gone.

I don't think so. There isn't any now on the fragged pieces. There may have been some on the base prior to fragging but shouldn't have been much as they were around 12" from the power heads. Could be it though. Good thought.

I'll definitely keep that in mind. I have them in a place where there is no direct flow, so maybe they will be OK. Thanks.

They were acclimated pretty well and came from someone who had similar lighting. The fixture is only a few inches over the tank so it is only about five inches above the water. They were put into the tank in early Nov. and did great for over two months. The polyps were out pretty nicely. I only have two clowns and they haven't been bothering any corals.

Edit: Also, they did have some growth in the time they were in the tank.

Last edited:
What's your alk, calcium and mag levels?

I don't have tests for these and therefore haven't added anything to raise them. I only have two stylo, one purple rim moni (which is doing great), and the acro. I didn't think that would be enough to have to test for calc, mag, and alk. I can get the tests for these if it would be critical. However, I don't want to spend the funds on it if it's not critical as I'm trying to save up for an Octopus skimmer.

Last edited:
I don't have tests for these and therefore haven't added anything to raise them. I only have two stylo, one purple rim moni (which is doing great), and the acro. I didn't think that would be enough to have to test for calc, mag, and alk. I can get the tests for these if it would be critical. However, I don't want to spend the funds on it if it's not critical as I'm trying to save up for an Octopus skimmer.

calcium alk and mag are also used by LPS, coaline algae, and feather dusters

calcium alk and mag are also used by LPS, coaline algae, and feather dusters

Feather dusters are huge. LPS is growing nicely. In fact, my duncans (second favorite) recently had split from three to five and my acan (most favorite) have a couple new heads as well. I have plenty of coraline growing, to the point where I will have to start scraping it soon.

I do know I need a skimmer. I'm currently saving towards an Octopus HOB skimmer (100F preferably or 100SS).

A while back I got fairly lazy about testing.My corals was growing good,so I figured all was well.Then I noticed one bleaching at the base,then another one started.Then I decided to start checking and found that calcium and alkalinity was fairly low.
If calcium,alkalinity,and magnesium levels get to low,then SPS corals are going to be the first to show the signs.

A while back I got fairly lazy about testing.My corals was growing good,so I figured all was well.Then I noticed one bleaching at the base,then another one started.Then I decided to start checking and found that calcium and alkalinity was fairly low.
If calcium,alkalinity,and magnesium levels get to low,then SPS corals are going to be the first to show the signs.

I guess I'm going to have to start looking st calc, alk and mag test kits. I usually do water changes one a week but moved it to every two or three weeks since I got the fuge, so perhaps the calc is not as high as it should be. Thanks for the tip.

You'll be surprised at just how fast calcium and alkalinity levels drop,even with regular water changes.A few SPS,some LPS,and coralline algae will suck it up a lot faster than you think.

Hmmm ... not thrilled with picking up another test kit. Oh well. I'll get a bottle of calcium supplement with the test kit.

OK, I picked up a calcium test kit. Calc is about 300. I added liquid calcium this evening. I'll add some more in a couple days. The bottle states to use it twice a week until the target level is achieved. Anyone find it OK to use three times a week or will that increase it too quickly? I'm thinking low 400's would be sufficient.

What exactly is the calcium supplement? You may need a couple bottles. 300 is really low.
Depending on what you have, use this Reef Chemistry Calculator to figure out exactly how much you need to dose to get your calcium to around 420.
For example, for 50g of water at 300 ppm ca, you would need to use 7.6 fl oz of Kent Liquid Calcium to get to 420.
You can raise it in 2-3 days.

+1 Capt
Calcium and alkalinity are my main concern.If they fall to low,acros will usually be the first to start showing signs of stress.

Last edited:
I picked up a bottle of Seachem's Reef Calcium. I can pick up a second bottle for maintenance if this one isn't going to last. I can add more tonight and tomorrow morning, then test again tomorrow night to see how quickly it is coming up. I'll also check out the Reef Chemistry Calculator.

Thanks for the help.

Edit: Just checked the calculator. I should need approximately 12.8 oz of the Seachem. I'll definitely be getting a second bottle, perhaps a third just to have it on hand.

Last edited:
I use that calculator almost every day.
If it was me.I'd dose have what the calculator said tonight,then the other half tomorrow night.
When you get a chance,pick up an alkalinity kit.I'm betting its low too.If it is,instead of buying a buffer,get some arm&hammer baking soda.Its a lot cheaper and the box last a lot longer than what you'd buy at the LFS.

Back