Acro not happy

LFS was out of the mag test kits. I'll have to try the other LFS (they are not open on Mondays). Adding six oz. of calcium in one day is not going to be too much? I'm researching the calc but haven't found out if it is dangerous to increase it too quicly.

On another note, I have move my salt levels now at 1.024 - 1.025, which is where I intend to keep it.

Thanks to all of you..

Edit: It is actually Reef Complete from Seachem. I'm only looking at 3.8 oz. total.

Last edited:
Reef Complete will add strontium and magnesium along with the calcium.But dont have any buffers in it.So it wont do anything for alk.
All and all,its a great product and I've used it a lot with no problems.

Edit: It is actually Reef Complete from Seachem. I'm only looking at 3.8 oz. total.
OK, for 50g, from 300 to 420 you need 28.3 capfuls or 4.7 fl oz.
Also, take note that stuff you are using adds magnesium and strontium. If your adding mag and strontium, better test for them too.

Reef Complete will add strontium and magnesium along with the calcium.But dont have any buffers in it.So it wont do anything for alk.
All and all,its a great product and I've used it a lot with no problems.

Good to know. I'll look for an alk test kit. I'll try to get something for the mag and strontium as well (although I'm running out of funds since I ordered an RODI unit last week). I normally don't add anything unless I can test for it. I added half the dose tonight and will hit the other half tomorrow. Hopefully everything will be happy again.

Last edited:
Are you using anything besides water changes to add Ca and Alk to the tank? Even a couple of SPS will suck the calcium out of the tank rapidly. Just ask Yote or cCapt. Personally I use kalkwasser mixed with a lil vinegar to maintain Ca and alk and add a carbon source as well. Google Randy Homes Farley for some great reading about "The Holy Trinity":mrgreen:

Are you using anything besides water changes to add Ca and Alk to the tank? Even a couple of SPS will suck the calcium out of the tank rapidly. Just ask Yote or cCapt. Personally I use kalkwasser mixed with a lil vinegar to maintain Ca and alk and add a carbon source as well. Google Randy Homes Farley for some great reading about "The Holy Trinity":mrgreen:

No, I didn't think I had enough to have to worry about it (and I'm quickly learning otherwise). I have a couple of monti (one about four inches around, the others are very small, two stylophora, and a very small birds nest for SPS, five head of duncan, several head candy cane, about 12 acan heads on a rock, and some soft corals - a few zoanthids and a couple green leathers. I'll google the site as well as start looking closer at the home remedies for making a calc supliment. Thanks.

Also, I added the rest of the calcium suppliment this morning. I'll test again tonight.

I picked up a test kit for KH. As I understand it, it will measure alkalinity. I checked for magnesium and strontium. Mag test was $20 and there wasn't anything for strontium. I'll have to hold off on those for now. I'll make sure I don't purchase anything with mag and strontium when I get another bottle.

I also found an article from Randy Holmes about Alk. Looks like he has a lot of info out there.

OK, new measurements show calcium at 435, alkalinity is at 10. The birdsnest is quite happy with it. Time will tell if the Acros stabilize.

Thanks everyone for your help. I have definitely learned a lot about the needs of these corals.

Last edited:
Do another calcium and alkalinity test every day at roughly the same time for a few days.That will give you an idea of how quick your systems using calcium and carbonate and you can dose accordingly to keep the levels more stable.

Back