Acrylic tanks, Love or hate them?

Picasso

Seahorse Whisperer
Ok, I'm looking at making a little tank and I'm thinking about building it out of acrylic. I've never had an acrylic tank. I know people feel strongly about this. If you love them or hate them, I would LOVE to hear your thoughts!

C

Hate. I admit, I've never had one myself. But I have seen a lot of tanks. And the acrylics look crappy -- scratched up and foggy. Just the sand and live rock in the tank is enough to scratch them up.

Come to think of it, my old BioCube may have been acrylic. I'm not sure. I don't remember -- it was years ago.

If it's small you could probably build it out of glass just as easily... or easier.
I'm with Biff... staying far far away from acrylic. Way too hard not to scratch.

I had a 25 gallon acrylic tank once. Never again. Almost everything scratches it, and it has a tendency to discolor over time. I'm looking at building a 10 gallon nano now to make a zoa garden out of. And I am only looking at glass.

glass is definitly better, cheaper and much more durable, acylic is way to easily scratched, look at it the wrong way and you can scratch it lol

i had my old 50gal ant it was acrylic and it got scrached pretty bad and the new big tank i have in my basement is acrylic. i do like acrylic they are clearer than glass until they get scrached. but it takes a lot of scraches before you cand see through it. you just have to super carefull with the things you use to clean them with. the best thing is soft alage pads and plastic scrapers. mag floats even acrylic safe one are a no no they will give you fine swirl scratches in the tank. i had my 50 for 10 years as my DT and you were still able to see in it very good but there was a lot of scratches but non of them were very deep.

+1 James! You other guys give acrylic a bad rap! :grumble:

I have two glass and one acrylic aquariums and YES acrylic is easier to scratch, but you just have to be a bit more careful. I have put plenty of scratches in my glass tanks because of the false notion that they are so much harder to scratch. And I have seen plenty of scratched up glass aquariums too.

Some aquariums just cannot be glass, however if I had to chose between the two I'd go with glass. It's just easier to keep clean IMO.

My brother had one for awhile, It was good until coraline algae grew on it. Could not clean it off without scratching it.

My main tank is acrylic and it looks great, 0 scratches and i never have any issues. I use a mag float and I also use razor blades to scrape off rough algae.

I think its up to how careful you are, but if you can, still go for glass.

I think the main reasons why acrylic tanks are as popular as they are, are that they're lighter, harder to crack, and they can be made into virtually any shape you can think of.

That being said, glass is cheaper, easier to maintain, and can support more than its own weight over distances. With acrylic tanks, you have to have a stand that supports the ENTIRE bottom unless it has a very thick bottom.

Light refraction is also something to consider. Glass tanks have to bend light all sorts of ways. So looking at a fish through a glass tank can be slightly skewed. Whereas with an acrylic tank, its refraction index is closer to water so things like color, size, and position are closer to what it actually is.

Glass stays clearer longer than acrylic which has a tendency to yellow with age.

Lastly glass tanks are easier to make and therefore are cheaper.

When all is said in done, unless the tank is unusually large or you want it in a different shape than rectangular, I'd still go with glass.

I knew this would be a love-it, hate-it, response and I appreciate all your feedback! I'm trying to build a better horse tank for dwarf ponies and this really does help! You guys just saved me a bunch of time and money.

C

Hate. I admit, I've never had one myself. But I have seen a lot of tanks. And the acrylics look crappy -- scratched up and foggy. Just the sand and live rock in the tank is enough to scratch them up.

Come to think of it, my old BioCube may have been acrylic. I'm not sure. I don't remember -- it was years ago.

Wasn't your big tank acrylic?

Back