Added sand to my tank and its cloudy...Quick ways to clear?

SalteeDogg

Reefing newb
The sand is carib sea aragonite I believe its the sugar size. It came out of a established system so I figured there was no need to rinse. The guy said to put it straight in and it turned cloudy instantly. I put sand in a cup and put the cup upside down ontop of my sand to try and reduce it but it did not seem to help. Would water clarifer's work or are those a waste of money? I got a filter material in my sump but it looks like its already about full of sand. Im worried about my fish!

Time is the only way I know it will clear up, and keep cleaning the filter material
You may want to do a few nitrate tests if its all stirred up from the other tank

ok good! Its starting to clear up a little but still bad enough to not see the back glass! This is the carib sea sugar size aragonite, so I was worried it wasn't going to clear fast. What about them water clarifiers that like charge the particles in the water to stick to each other? Do they work?

Yeah, sometimes, patience is the best course :) It's also possible that the guy did not rinse it when he first used it. And sometimes, even sand that you rinse out really well will still leave cloudy waters...but rinsed sand will just take less time to clear up. I rinsed the crap out of the sand in my 125g, and it still clouded up when I put it in, but it cleared up quickly. PICS!

Back