Adding fish

twps

Reefing newb
I had an interesting conversation at one of my LFS last weekend. Talking about adding new fish they suggested I add all of my fish at once to reduce stress and aggressiveness. Interesting thought. A little costly all at once, but no big deal. I'm more worried about the bio load increase and if this is even a good suggestion.

Basically, I said I wanted a six line wrasse, a tang or two (blue & yellow) a pair of clowns. (I know the tank may be too small for tangs...)

Has anyone done this, adding all fish at once? Is it a good idea or am I just asking for more trouble? To me adding over time is fun keeps me in the LFS that's for sure.

Hmm I've never heard that suggestion before! I think your concerns are valid. I'd be really worried about crashing the tank by adding so many waste-producers at once.

I'd be concerned as well about adding some much waste to the tank all at once. What you might want to do is research the fish you want to put in. Once you have them all picked out add the less aggressive one first and work your way up. That way the most aggressive fish will be put in last and not be the boss of the tank right from the start. Also, I think a 46g is too small for tangs. They needs lots of room to swim and a 46g doesn't have the length.

I also would not put them all in at once. Some fish species benefit from being added together, if you are planning on more than one, such as anthias, chromis, or similar. However, a sudden spike in fish waste may overload the filtering system of your tank ans cause a crash. JMO

a six line wrasse, a tang or two (blue & yellow) a pair of clowns. (I know the tank may be too small for tangs...)
I had a 6-line in a 30g tank and he turned into a mean A-hole. Others have kept them in large tanks, like 90g or larger, and the fish seam fine. My advise is to find a different wrasse for your 46g tank. I think a 6-line has a pretty good potential of turning into a bully with the tankmates you've listed.

Clowns are boring IMO. I got one. He's boring. All they do is sit in the corner - or where ever they decide to host - and flop around. When my clown dies - thats the last one for me.

You are correct - the tank is too small for tangs - not even one IMO.

I'm not trying to rag on you. This is just my opinion. And you know what they say about opinions .. :wink: I am getting close to 3yrs in this hobby. I've had a 6-line. I currently have a clown. Wouldn't get either one again. There's MUCH MUCH cooler fish out there. With only 46g - you REALLY need to be quite picky about which fish you put in the tank. 2 or 3 fish is probably the max unless you get small species. Try and get one rock dwelling fish (wrasse or blenny or hog fish) - try to get a sand sifter such as a diamond watchman goby - try to get an open water swimmer like a chromis or antheis. If you get fish that utilize different parts of the tank, you'll have less quarrels - hopefully. Again, just my opinion.

DO NOT put them all in at once. Thats a recipe for a disaster. I'm bettin' the LFS would like you to do that several times. Good for their wallet.

+1 All the above.
Any time you add a bunch of fish at once,you risk overloading your biofiltration.Do that,your gonna have a cycle.

I'm with you all on this, not adding all at once. It was the first I had heard it as well. It did make some sense, add them together reduce stress/fighting. When I questioned them they're response was that not may people can afford to do it this way. Personally I like adding slowly seeing the changes, etc.

I really like the looks of the 6 lines colouring. We're interested in colourful fun fish. I agree with the clown, right now mine has hosted the back right corner above the powerhead. Boring, but colourful!

I'll keep reading the other threads for fish ideas. Chromis remind me of freshwater fish, lacking colour. At least the ones I've seen around here. Remember I live in Canada and our selections and pricing differ from that of the US. Unfortunately, non of the mail order places can ship across the border. I could ship to a postal box I have in the US, about 1.5hrs away no problem, but smuggling them across the border could land me in jail, plus take away my passport which I need for work.

How about a colorful goby? They've got lots of personality and are out a good amount....

Why are you thinking about a tang? I've seen several posts on people wanting tangs in relatively small tanks, so I'm just trying to get an understanding on that. Yeah, they're attractive, but they are kind of finicky and will stress badly in a tank that small, even if they are small ones.

I really don't by into the adding em at the same time reduces stress and aggressiveness either. Normaly I would add very peaceful fish first and give them time to set up a home before adding a more aggressive fish. This seems to really reduce aggressive behavior more than anything.

As for the 6 line I had one. It was a great fish. Like damsels, clowns, etc you never know what your gonna get it could be mean or nice.

Back