advice on a couple of fish i'm thinking of getting

d.french

Reef enthusiast
first one is a blue jaw trigger fish suppose to be the most reef safe out of all triggers.

second is a raccoon butterfly fish which i really like butterfly fish and they are supposed to be hard to keep and the raccoon is supposed to be hardiest out of bunch. Anyone keep these our got any advice.
thanks

Raccoon butterflies are supposedly hardy, but not reef safe. I wouldn't try one in a reef tank.

As for the trigger, I hear the blue jaw, niger and pink tail are the best 3 for a reef tank. I have a pink tail, and love him to death. He doesn't bother anything or anyone except for his cubes of frozen food :). Hawks12thman has two blue jaw triggers, and as far as I know, they haven't bothered anything in his tank either.

blue jaw most recommended so far from what ive read and from other local reefers, less likely to eat shrimp and other inverts.

blue jaw triggers are not as hardy as Niger triggers. they are coral safe, but will likely eat ornamental shrimps.

Raccoon butterfly fish are hardy and active swimmers, but tend to be shy eaters. many butterfly fish are nervous eaters. not reef safe by any scope of the imagination. if you are thinking fish only tank, forget the blue jaw and get a clown trigger or picasso trigger. much prettier and tend to act like household pets!

-Doc

i really like picasso trigger but local reefers said that and clown are most aggressive. blue jaw trigger is doin great and only cost 35 bucks. racoon i'm gonna get for aiptasia than its gone..

I believe that most triggers are aggressive, but the MOST is a tie between the queen trigger and clown trigger. Both of those are just nasty.

I hope you don't have any corals or the raccoon will decimate them long before he hits the aptasia. Kinda like putting a kid in a buffet with a choice of the ice cream machine and veggies. :mrgreen:

-Doc

gonna take my chances with raccoon any chomping of corals than back to lfs, trigger is awesom still acting shy though hiding behind rocks.

good luck. Catching a fish that is nipping is a HUGE pain in the ass. I hope your raccoon is well behaved around your corals!!!

-Doc

I am new to going on threads but with my years of experience with Saltwater fish, Triggers is kind of bad, especially when I seen them eat other fish and tear them apart, it really made me mad. I feed them plenty too and it still decided to eat like it was an all you can eat buffet. As for butterfly fishes, it states in some that butterfly fishes is coral polyp eaters and they are not safe for any reef tank, yes I do have 2 pebbled and a coricola butterfly fishes and they ate my coral up and It hurts when you spend money so I was disappointed, but after adding new corals, I got them to eat flakes instead, so now they tend to be waiting for breakfast or dinner time so it ain't all that bad. Anyways, I hope you do well with your decision. Good luck.

Back