Advice on buying a tank

ggNoRe

Reefing newb
Hey all! I'm looking to getting into the aquarium world and want to ask for some good advice as to what tank/stand/hood(with lighting fixture) and bulbs I should buy. I've done a little research and from that I have come to the conclusion that I prefer acrylic, awesome lighting (how my tank looks at night is a huge priority), I like black as far as stand/hood and other furniture is concerned, leaning towards buying new products, leaning towards something in the 50 gallon range, and I don't have an endless budget. For now I'm thinking of just having a live rock with fish tank but may decide to get some coral later on in the future. I'm open to all ideas and opinions even if they differ from my above suggestions. Thanks!

Well if I had it to do all over again. I would have started with a more traditional tank. I have a corner tank as my main dt currently. Weird configuration in my stand because of it. Its pretty much impossible for me to fit a sump in. 50 gal range is a great place to start. Go with a reef ready model if possible that way you can do your sump/refugium easier. If you think you will end up into corals in the next year or so go ahead and get reef lights either t-5 s or mh. Another one of my boo boos. lol learn from my mistakes. If you havent gotten any books on this hobby I would get "The Conscientious Marine Aquarist" by Robert Fenner. In my opion the bible for Marine Aquariums. Ask lots of question here lots of good people. Also check out www.wetwebmedia thats Finners site so much info your head will blow lol. Also imho take lfs (live fish sellers) advice with a big grain of salt rember they are trying to make money off of you and if they sell you stuff that will keep you going back in to buy more most will. :D

My Suggestion is to go to your local store, and look for a 55g tank. Plenty of starting room and easy to build on, with the stability of a good amount of water, should some of your parameters get off during the starting process. Words of advice: I don't know your budget so this comes strictly from personal experience. Start with a glass tank, acrylic scratches easier and is a lot more expensive. Personally I would save the acrylic for later down the line when your budget is expanded and you know for sure you are going to stick with aquariums. I will never do it. Secondly, a F.O.W.L.R. tank (Fish only with Live Rock) such as you are wanting, is a great way to start. Your lighting can be more simple and thus cheaper, for the time being Fluorescent Lighting will be fine, the tank you buy should come with a standard Ballast for such lighting and will more than likely hold two 20in or two 24in ballast for lighting. I recommend something like a Coralife 50/50 bulb which will give you the blue spectrum and natural daylight you are looking for with such a tank (I use one for my reef tank). H.O.T. (hang on tank) filters and heaters, are a much more budget oriented way to go than submersible heaters or canister filters. Finally, your furniture, likewise with the ballast, a stand and canopy can be purchased where most tanks are sold, however they are expensive, most of the time they come in a black or oak finish unless special ordered. Note: L.E.D. strips make for a great nightime effect and are reasonably cheap for around $13 or $14 per 15in strip.

Hope it all helps, good luck and welcome to the hobby! =D --Morgan

here is some advice for getting started in a way that can be affordable. My 2 90 gallon tanks i bought with stands lights and filter systems that were for sale from people who were already in the hobby but were ready to get out of it. I got great deals on both my tanks I paid 1000 for my first 90 that was fully established and then i paid 500 for my second 90 gal that have both been great. this is a route u might want to go if your budget was like mine when i first got in thr hobby. so check your local ads or if you have a thrifty nickle type paper for deals and also sometimes your lfs will have a bulletin board with people selling items and also you cold check the classifieds on the site or even craigs list. starting out can be expensive but there are ways to start without huge start up cost if you can get lucky enough like i did:^:

I would honestly say at least give used some thought. I personally will never by new again. Just ask them to have it filled before you get there and bring a copper test kit ;)

The sites that David posted above have some real nice tanks that seem to be close to what you've stated. But you could save a bit of coin if you find an acyrilic tank builder local to you. Since your not necessarily planning on keeping coral you can save some $ and skimp on the lights if necessary. You don't really need the high dollar light set-ups for a fish only w/live rock.

Last edited:
i would say stay away from acrylic tanks i had one and will never have another. they scratch super easy and because of that they are harder to clean. the top of mine cracked because of the heat of the lights.

I have one of each now. Glass by far is easier to clean. A good metal scraper works wonders. With acrylic, like James said, it's just a lot harder to clean and scrapers don't work very well. Glass casts more of a yellow tint with time. Acrylic tanks are much lighter in weight. Both have pluses and minuses!

I have to ask -- why have you decided on acrylic? For saltwater setups, the benefits of glass far outweigh any benefits of acrylic. Very few people use acrylic tanks because once you put rock and sand in there, they inevitably get scratched to hell very quickly and look like crap.

First off, I want to thank everyone on the great advice! I chose acrylic because from what I've read they look better (clearer) and that's my main goal with this, I want my tank to look amazing which is also the reason I plan to go a little overboard with the lighting. Just bought a new condo, and hoping my new aquarium can brighten the place up a bit. :sfish:

My list of personal + - of both

Glass+: Cheaper, more scratch resistant
Glass-: Silicone seams, Less clear

Ac+: No seams, Clearer, More natural look
AC-: Costly, Scratches easy, Algae growth accelerates with scratches, Harder to clean

And with acrylic the algae will get into the scratches and you will never get it out. Then your acrylic tank will have brown and green streaks embedded in it.

I have seen acrylic tanks get scratched just from the powerheads blowing the water around, since the water contained minute amounts of sand and debris.

yea i got a huge scrach in mine when i used a acrylic safe magfloat come to find out it was not very plastic friendly it made a path the size of the float across the tank as wide as it it was hundreds of little scraches on a brand new tank that cost me 700 bucks.

I would at least put some simple LOW light corals down the road of course..oh and 2 things to keep in mind #1 this hobbie is as pricey as you wanna make it and #2 shit die's because shit die's..lol

Last edited:
Back