Agar

Its in the petri dishes when scientists try to grow bacteria. Its food that is sugar and bacteria love it. Some of the scientists can answer more. Biff or tanked should know more of it. But do not know how it would absorb nitrogen.

Well, agar is derived from seaweed, but I have never heard of it being used in fish tanks... I mean, it's used in Asian cooking for desserts and stuff... And I honestly have no idea how it would oxygenate the water or absorb nitrogen!

Hey, I know that you can't get the full article without paying for it, but I can for free! Let me know, I'll pull that article in the entirety and email it to you if you want. Send me a PM with your email address if you want to read the full version.

Agar is basically a complex sugar. I wouldn't add it to my tank because it acts like jello when dissolved in water-- thickens the water up, which to my mind, will make things uncomfortable for my critters, and make oxygen exchange harder so less O2 is likely to be in the water. Also, I highly doubt fish need sugar sources for food... most of their diet is either vegetable matter or meat. not sugars. As for nitrogen removal, the agar itself is not doing the removing. You'd have to grow a thin film (think like a sheet of paper) of agar seeded with algae for this to be effective. Then float that on top of your tank (which is a difficult prospect at best IMO, cause the turbulence in the tank water will just dissolve the agar sheet)... THEN the algae would use up nitrates and release O2, while also consuming the agar for another food source. But, the agar itself is likely to cause more problems than it will solve IMO. You can achieve the same effect by adding a chunk of macroalgae to your sump. :)

:D As always! Aren't we lucky to have her here (even if she does disappear for a few days)
Thanks tanked! :D

Sorry. I was stuck in the Memphis airport because NWA can't fly its planes on time... and I couldn't bring myself to pay $7.95 for one day of wireless net access :) Now I'm in Louisianna, being broiled alive regularly. :bounce:

Sorry. I was stuck in the Memphis airport because NWA can't fly its planes on time... and I couldn't bring myself to pay $7.95 for one day of wireless net access :) Now I'm in Louisianna, being broiled alive regularly. :bounce:

Get yourself some of those Cajun boiled crawfish while your in coonass country.:D

Sorry guys, I'm unable to get that article for you. Apparently I'm a "Terminated Employee" so my access is denied.

I'm gonna have to have a talk with HR on Monday ;)

Sorry guys, I'm unable to get that article for you. Apparently I'm a "Terminated Employee" so my access is denied.

I'm gonna have to have a talk with HR on Monday ;)

As long as the check keeps coming, I wouldnt talk to HR, they might know something you dont!!! Soon you will be in the basement with all the files. Say hi to Milton when you are down there!!!!

Brian

Back