ahhh...first deaths...

Brian_G

overly obsessed
well... about a week ago i bought a blue linkia star and the guys at the store had a hard time getting it out if the egg crate it was in. but i took it home and a week later it is dead. mouth wide open, shite decaying spot, so i removed it from my tank. The same day i noticed my sally lightfoot hadnt moved in a few hours and i thought that was odd. so i reached in and it fell off the rock it was on. but its legs would still move ever so little. but its eyes and such are still so its definitely dead.

checked my water and it looks great.

ammonia-0
nitrates-0
cal- 370
alk- 8.3
ph- 8.1 (off of ph probe)

but what it the world! 1st death and it just shot my good mood right out of the sky. :(

They didnt by any chance expose that Linkia to the air at the store,when they were trying to bag it did they?Exposure to air will kill Linkias.
Hate to hear of the bad luck.It always sux to when one of our pets dies.

actually they did. :(

they gave me a full refund on the star though. so its not too awful.

too bad, it was so beautiful. my mother actualy thought it was fake. and the girlfriend named it playdough because it was so blue.

Yeah it's not the molt. It molted about a week ago and was standing next to the shell wen I woke up and I thought I had 2 crabs. And then I took the molt out. So I know it wasn't that.

It could have been about anything that caused the sally to die.I gave up on them a couple of years ago after my last one died.

Yeah. I don't think I have something horrible going on in my tank right now. Now that I know the linkia died from being exposed to air. And I don't feel bad that I'm not the only one that has lost one. Or a few.

Haha that's a possibility dcant. I was thinking about a different crab that people see often roaming around the tank that is nice looking. Suggestions?

The only two crabs I would put in a reef system would be the emerald and porcelain crabs.There are other cool crabs like the pom pom but but they are not totally safe.Those anemones they carry may sting other corals.There are shrimps you can try.Skunk cleaners and fire shrimps make great additions as well.

Yeah I have a cleaner now, it's really neat. But the Sally lightfoot crab I had was really cool, but it seems people have problems keeping them. I might do a few porcelins.

Back