Ahhh shit

UnderwaterWorld

Reef enthusiast
Ok so my tank has been going down hill recently

Yesterday my male clown died, he hadn't been eating and I thought that maybe he was just picking up little bits, but apparently not.

He had been eating for the first two weeks or so that I had him.

Then today I noticed a dead peppermint

My water parameters aren't very high, but I have noticed that my water hasn't been clear like it used to be, it's a little blurry.

My bubble anenome, it was given to me, was stupid and it went to the back of my tank in the dark where no light gets to and where i can't get at it after thriving for a week in the light, and looking great. It died ofc and has almost broken down all the way now. I didn't remove it because I couldn't get to it, without moving the 20 lbs of rock in my tank, which is all of my rock.

So what's the problem? When an anenome dies and breaks down, can it be harmful ? I'm thinking maybe that's what killed my shrimp and clown, I have two other peppermints who may be going down the same road.

I have a pengiun 200 bio-wheel and I'm going to replace the filter now and I just did a 10% water change

Thanks for Your Help!

When something dies and isn't consume or remove than it can likely overloads the bio system,especially in a small system such as yours.I bet the decaying anemone crash the system and cause a bacteria bloom(cloudy water).I doubt toxins were release but nothing can foul a tank more than a dead anemone.The ammonia from the dead anemone is prolly what killed your other livestock.

Nothing you can do now but wait it out.Test ammonia and nitrite,wait til both drop to zero and then do a water change.Personally,I would never put an anemone in a 12g nano,thats just a disaster waiting to happen(and it did).Sorry about the lost and better luck in the future.

yea i wasn't going to get one but when i got my clown pair the lfs threw then anenome in with in. I couldn't say no, I should have though.

Well thanks

Anemones are one of the worst things you could have die in your tank... For the reason you stated. They are disgusting when they die. Sorry about your losses. I would be surprised if your other animals lived through it, those anemones are nasty -- one reason why I won't ever get one again. And Freak is right, cloudy water usually equals bacterial bloom, which usually means something big died.

Anemones should not be kept in small tanks or in new tanks. Ideally you need to have a tank established for at least 10 months before you can add an anemone. Your LFS was stupid to give it to you, and probably fully knew it could not possibly survive in your tank. Why did he do this? So you would have to come back and buy all new animals from him once everything in your tank died. Am I cynical? Slightly. But there are some dishonest people out there that look to take advantage of people who don't always know what questions to ask before they bring a new animal home.

Stupid lfs. That's really a ripoff that somebody would sell you something to kill all your fish just to get you back in the store. If in fact that really is the case anyway. Just the thought of it bugs me tho. Ripoff

Hate to hear about your anemone.
But you,Reef,and Biff are all 3 right.
Anemones should never be a nano system,should never be in a new system,and never under less than 6 watts of light per gallon of water.

BTW
Fire that LFS and find one that cares enough about the animals to help you make the right decisions.

At Petco (west coast chain pet store), they were selling anemones in regular tanks under 1 florescent light and they would sell them to anyone who asked for it. I was actually surprised to see how irresponsible some of these stores are about these things. They really need to hire more experienced people to handle their saltwater section and not some teenager who just graduated high school…

Fire that LFS and find one that cares enough about the animals to help you make the right decisions.

Word, most are out to get your money, there are a few out there that really care about the hobby, and not just making a sale...

At Petco (west coast chain pet store), they were selling anemones in regular tanks under 1 florescent light and they would sell them to anyone who asked for it. I was actually surprised to see how irresponsible some of these stores are about these things. They really need to hire more experienced people to handle their saltwater section and not some teenager who just graduated high school…

Every Petco I ever seen was doing the same thing.
Thats one of the reasons I wont go to Petco.

he prob did do that so that I would come back for more things. I'm pissed off. I'm gunna go tear him apart. the few corals I have are starting to go down the shitter now too.

When something dies and isn't consume or remove than it can likely overloads the bio system,especially in a small system such as yours.I bet the decaying anemone crash the system and cause a bacteria bloom(cloudy water).I doubt toxins were release but nothing can foul a tank more than a dead anemone.The ammonia from the dead anemone is prolly what killed your other livestock.

Nothing you can do now but wait it out.Test ammonia and nitrite,wait til both drop to zero and then do a water change.Personally,I would never put an anemone in a 12g nano,thats just a disaster waiting to happen(and it did).Sorry about the lost and better luck in the future.

Why would you never put a anemone in a 12g?? Because if it does die the tank is so small that it would destroy the water? Or is there another reason? The seabay is doing great in mine so far. Hope it isnt going to go downhill from here. heh.

On a sidenote: If my clowns stop hosting it, is that a sign that it isnt doing well? This isnt the case, yet, but just wanted to know if that could be a possioble warning sign.

He said that because of how it can kill everything

I learned recently of how if an anenome was to die in a big system 100+ it wouldn't have that much of an impact because of how big the system was

But the smalled the system the bigger the impact, and in a 12 gallon it's gunna probably wipe out everything (happening to me) so then your screwed over

hope nothing happens to yours...it sucks, I would be extremely carefully and make sure all of it's needs are being met and no sudden changes are made, in a small system big changes easily happen also

Good Luck!

When an anemone dies,yes it can crash a system,even more so in a nano.Sebae anemones are one of the most difficult anemones,IMO.They do well early on and out of nowhere start to deteriorate.Unlike corals that usually die slowly,anemones can die quickly which can foul a system.Early on,when I got into the hobby,I was just like you guys,wanting an anemone with clowns.I learned through the years that they aren't worth the risk.Of course,the choice is really up to the individual.

I have a purple mushroom that is shrinked

and 2 green zoos

and some small leather polys i think they are tanish and are about 1 inch long and have a flower type opening and the end

and I have something else but I don't know what it's called

it's 4 heads of something

I don't know what the four head thing is....maybe frogspawn,hammer,candy cane or torch coral.

Everything else you mentioned are very hardy corals.Its a good chance they will recover.

Freak, I agree that the consumer should research EVERY animal they buy BEFORE they buy it. But we're human. We make impulse buys. And we trust that the "experts" running the store know what they are talking about. I've said over and over again on here, post on the forums about an animal before you bring it home, but so many times I have walked into the LFS and left with something I never planned to bring home.

I think tank disasters like this do teach us to research the needs of the animal before we buy it, but it can be hard to do when you have someone in a position of power and trust (the LFS) telling you something different.

Back