Ahhhh f this!

I just got my protein skimmer running. Seems my tank was running for 3 weeks without one! DO you think my corals are going to survive? (Flame torch, leather, mushroom, zoo) I've had to empty it out because it was to the top 8 times in a row and counting...

Yeah if it keeps on filling up, it's not working correctly.

Have you added anything like tap water conditioner or dechlorinator or slime coat chemicals to the tank? That will make your skimmer behave the way it is.

The protein skimmer is a sea prizm skimmer. I added some "nitraban" early on a couple times but then realized it was for freshwater tanks :( I stopped putting it in.
Foam comes out of the top into the overflow in the beginning then alot of water gets in? What is going on? I think Im an idiot and should just leave it running when the water reaches the top right? ahhhh :(

You need to adjust the skimmer. There is a knob on the front that you can turn. You need to turn it down so that there are bubbles forming in the skimmer, and the bubbles are just reaching the top. You shouldn't have water flowing through. The bubbles will slowly fall over the sides and collect in the cup as concentrated brown gunk.

I have it set inbetween 2 and 8 oclock. Thats where the local fish store told me to set it, so I guess I have to adjust and monitor it to water isnt flowing through...Thx

It all depends on the water height of yor tank. Skimmers, especially HOB are very touchy when it comes to this. Prizm skimmers aren't bad, but there are some other options out there that are better and not that expensive.

Back