Aiptasia Anemones

jamesd523

Reefing newb
Hi Guys,

So, when I bought my live rock, I noticed that there was a small anemone on one of the large rocks. I've been letting it live because I thought it was kind of pretty, and I don't have much in my tank. Today, I was looking it up and found out that they are not a good thing to have in my tank. :frustrat:

anemone.jpg

I know it's a horrible picture, and you can't see. I will try to take another pic when I get home. It looks like this:

aiptasia2d_108x170.jpg

Anybody have any ideas on the best way to get rid of this guy? I've noticed that it has a few babies around it... now that I know they are bad, I'll get rid of them.

Thanks!

Inject them with white vinegar. That is how I killed mine. If you don't they will spread like crazy. I use a syringe to inject it right in the middle of them. If you try and pull them off they will spread and just come back. Good Luck

I've never heard of injecting them with vinegar before...not sure if that is good or bad...

What i do know, is that peppermint shrimps will eat aiptisia
and a product called Joe's Juice will kill it if injected directly into the anemone.

It's safe as long as you don't get crazy with the vinegar. It won't affect your PH either. I've been using that method for years. A lot of people inject them with calcium too, but the peppermint shrimp will work as well.

I tried smothering them in kalk paste they came back, never did try injecting them with anything but bought 4 peppermint shrimp and within 2 weeks the apstasia were gone. Plus the shrimp look cool

Brian

I wouldn't go out and buy Joe's Juice for this one aiptasia yet.Inject it with boiling water or a small bit of lemon juice through a syringe.If you don't have a syringe then remove the rock and smear salt paste on the aiptasia.Mix a small amount of marine salt and a bit of water.

Sounds good. If I decide to go with the peppermint shrimp, are they reef safe? Would I be better off with the lemon juice? (I read about that one today)

I've killed a few aiptasias by just injecting them with air.Used calcium and magnesium.
But its a lot more fun to watch pepperments eat them.

Bifferwine suggested that i used a thick paste of sea salt and that worked cause my fish killed the peppermint shrimp which is unlikely for a clown,sixlin, and a gobie

You shouldn't add a peppermint shrimp unless the cycle has been complete for at least a month.They are pretty sensitive,if everything is stable then go ahead an add a peppermint shrimp or two or three.I find them a hit and miss myself.It sometimes takes months for my shrimps to get to work,if at all.

Okay, Thanks!

I think I'll try to kill them first, then add some peppermints in to keep them from coming back once things have settled in the tank.

I've never heard of injecting them with vinegar before...not sure if that is good or bad...

What i do know, is that peppermint shrimps will eat aiptisia
and a product called Joe's Juice will kill it if injected directly into the anemone.

oit is a sertan peppershrimp so ask for it by name Lysmata wurdemann i thoght i had these once i was wrong but i looked it up any ways but if u try the shrimp let me know so i can try it if i get some good luck

Peppermint shrimp are a good, natural way to go. In the past, I've used a thick salt paste and a thick kalkwasser paste, and both methods have worked fine.

Back