aiptasia infestation

BCReefer

pro stoner, newb reefer
So I had a few aiptasias hanging around before the summer so I got some aiptasia X and went through the tank every day for a week and killed any of them I could find. it was looking clear when I left a couple months ago, but as they started coming back my roommate tried using the stuff, and I'm assuming did it rather sporadically and those that survived bred like mad. So now i'm back from a couple months away and the place is COVERED in the little bastards.

An important note - my protein skimmer wasn't working properly and was making alot of noise, yet my water parameters were continually perfect without it so it hasn't been running for a couple months. I'd wager this is the main reason they've taken over. Obviously I'm getting a new one soon.

What I'd like to know is how to deal with this infestation, or whether it can even be dealt with. I've been thinking i could buy a big jug of aiptasia X and place my rocks in a bucket one by one to completely soak them in the stuff, but that wouldn't help me with the ones on the glass and sand. Or maybe I'll just have to start over (yikes.) Any suggestions?

thanks

Well serious infestations can require drastic measures, if Aiptasia X is out of the question i know people who have taken the rock out scrubbed and boiled (which would mean you would have to recycle the tank) the rock to clear them off. Some people try peppermint shrimp depending on the size of the tank, 2-3 or more and let them chow down on the little bastards. I've also heard of people using the blow torch method (which still has die off but doesnt require a recycling of the tank if rinsed in clean saltwater afterwards) where you just fire up a hand held blow torch and have fun watching them sizzle (this would be a spot method though you wouldnt just torch the entire piece of rock, else everything dies.) My first suggestion is the least drastic, try using the peppermint shrimp to do your dirty work. Give them a few weeks of trial to see if they are clearing them out to a noticeable degree, if so continue with them, if not look at a more drastic measure.

yep i tried a peppermint shrimp before, i didn't see him munching on them though. He would hide under the rocks all day then as soon as he smelt the food coming he'd race out and snatch some food before a fish could. I'm guessing one day when i was gone my roommate forgot to feed em and someone thought a peppermint shrimp would be as tasty as mysis shrimp. At any rate, even if they did eat the aiptasia I'm guessing I'd need several of them to make a dent

You need a lot more than 1 peppermint. I'd go with a half dozen. There's a 50/50 chance that they will eat aiptasia, so getting a bunch increases the odds that you'll get some hungry guys.

Back