aiptasia starfish?

VAreef

Reefing newb
I found this guy on my Zoanthid corals. Have known about him for a few days but decided to pull him out. I never saw him on the zoanthids themselves but several of the polyps are closed up on them now. I think this may be an aiptasia starfish? Maybe eating my corals when I wasn't looking? Anyone have any experience with these or seen one before? It may be a mute point as I think I killed him in the extraction procedure.

starfish.jpg

I dont know if thats what their called or not,but there are several types of star fish that you can get as hitch hikers that will eat your corals.
I'd say you made the right choice on getting him out.

those little buggers absolutly will eat your corals and multiply like crazy. Get rid of all you can see ASAP. I used to think they were little offspring of my sandstars. Boy was I wrong. Good luck.

-Dr Marco:sfish:

I have over 100 Asterina starfish and they don't harm anything. Never ever see them on coral. Only live rock and glass. I would leave them in.

I think you've gotten lucky, Sass. If there isn't anything else for them to eat they will absolutely go after corals. I wouldn't risk it.

Most, but you don't know if you have a bad one until your corals have been munched on ;). You could wait and see if it does something bad, then take it out if it starts to behave badly...

Last edited:
i agree with sasscuba got a few and never hurt any corals research does show not all are bad, if you don't want them add a Harlequin Shrimp they each starfish and urchins.

yup. better safe than sorry. I don't like to take risks like that - just angelfish. Too hard to get them out cuz they are so small and hard to find - at least for me. My eyes are going bad with old age.

-Dr Marco :sfish:

These starfish do eat coral, they go after SPS mainly but can also eat LPS they general will not harm softies, Zoos, mushrooms or anemones. They do multiply very quickly, but no worries if you only see one or two every so often just grab them out whenever you see them.

If you choose to leave them in they will get to a point that you won't be able to see into your aquarium, because they are everywhere.

Sasscubba is correct that reef central has some good info, but as all forums go keep in mind everyone has an opinion, with different levels of experience. If you want the most accurate info you should purchase a book or look at wetwebmedia.com. The people on this site are marine biologist, so you will get scientific answers.

Back