Aiptasia

Paste

I'm on a boat!
YAY.
Guess it was bound to happen, got 3 aiptasia growing in my tank, 2 in the sand, 1 in a rock.

I think I was able to escavate the one out of the rock (was a small rock with a chunk of coral that I pulled out and knifed it out)

the 2 in the substrate are killing me... Tried to suck them up with a turkey baster... but I cant get em. I think I have them and then an hour or 2 later back it pops up.

Just bought a couple peperment shrimp with hopes they seek and destroy.

Any other ideas? cant really get to them to inject as they are at the bottom of my tank and its hard to see when I get on a chair to reach that far down.

dont try and pull them out or pluck them out anymore cuz thatll make them release there spores and thats how they spread. just leave them alone and get some aiptasia x. thatll kill em dead otherwise trying to remove them manually will cause them to reproduce. dont be surprised if u see more start to pop up. get aiptasia x before it gets worse.

No.. I took the rock out of the tank and cut the bit of the rock that had the aptasia off.

And the ones in the sand I tried to suck up with a turkey baster... so no spores.

The Aptasia X or Joes Juice or whatever you have to pin point them... that is what I cant do. My tank is too deep and I cant clearly see what I am doing.

Stressing them with a baster will make them release spores. Also if there is some in your tank, there are probably more you can't see. If you can reach the rock why can't you just lift the rock up and use the medication and put it back in?

because what is left is in the sand (argonite)
I cant just pull my substrate and dip it,
is there something safe I can does my whole tank with?

The way I am telling you is truly the only effective way to wipe them out. There is nothing to dose your tank with.

Not that i have heard of. I have had a couple on the bottom of the tank as well. That had me with my arm way the hell in the tank (with a lionfish in the tank no less) trying in vain to see and sqeeze at the same time lol.

Eventually i just turned off all flow and sortof just let it drop onto the aiptasia. Took a couple tries, but i got that little B****** :)

The Aiptasia X is so effective because it seals up their mouth before they can release spores (that's why you squirt the stuff directly on their mouth). Others are right -- if you distress them, they will spread babies. If you can't see what you are doing, then have someone help out and guide you as you apply it. There really isn't a better way to do it.

There is a dosing rod out there that is designed to reach the hard spaces. These dosing rods are good for whatever you need to treat.

If your tank is that deep, you might want to invest in these.

Don't remember names of compn
Any but I'm sure you can google.

Back