Air Pockets

SSalty

Team Liquid Force
I have a bunch of tiny air-pockets in between my glass and substrate. Anyone know what this is, or what is causing it?

Thanks

I might be wrong here, but I believe they're nitrogen gas from the bacteria in the sand. If I'm right it is the end result of the complete cycle.

Most likely just micro bubbles that has gotten trapped in the substrate.They collect to form larger bubbles.Once the sand bed becomes ''alive'',you will most likely see less and less bubbles.

Well in my 30 I dont really have any microbubbles and I still get them in the sand bed, you can see it through the glass.

I would agree with bobby on this one. The end result of the nitrogen cycle. Nitrate is converted to nitrogen gas in anerobic conditions in the substrate. Most of it disipates out of the water into the air above the tank but some gets stuck and over time bubbles form. If you get some sand sifters, you will notice less of these bubbles because they will dislogde any of the gas that is getting stuck. Try some nasari snails of a sand sifting star.

Brian

I agree with BJ.The pockets are nitrogen gas build up from the biologocial filtration thats going on in the sand bed.
Its harmless.

The bubbles are indeed nitrogen gas. It is the result of critters from your sand bed eating waste/food from the top of the sand and then expelling waste beneath the sand. The anaerobic area beneath the sand results in the nitrate being converted to nitrogen gas. When the bubbles travel up and out of tank it is your sand bed doing it's job.

Andy

Unless your sand bed is deep enough to keep the fauna from disturbing the deeper part of the sand bed where the anerobic conditions are.I still think its just trapped air.Salty,Ive seen pics of your tank and the sand bed doesn't seem deep enough or grain size small enough.Well,in either case,I don't see any problems.

i agree with the others. just make sure the top of your'e tank is vented well so it can escape. a little surface aggitation with a powerhead well help it vent off too.

Back