Algae and water change questions

chbix

Reefing newb
So I was reading an article about making a refigium, which I intend to use in a sump/refuge set up in a 10 or 20gal size under my main tank. The article was talking about using specific types of algae for these reason, etc. So I started thinking where do you get these specific types of algae. I did a google search and a search on here and only found articles about getting rid of algae or algae killing products. So where do you guys get your algae from? Online or LPS?

Second question is regarding water changes. I read a beginning a new saltwater tank thing and it says you shound NEVER use salt water to replace evaporated water because it will raise the salinity. But my thought was that if you use fresh water your going to lower the salinity. If you added water that was the same salinity of the tank you would be ok. Now again this is just talking about adding water to replace evaporated water not for a water change. How do you guys do it?

I don't quite understand the first question. Algae naturally grows in the tank. Ifyou're talking about Chaeto go to the classifeds and Biff will hook you up.

Salt doesn't evaporate like water does so your first assumption is correct. Use fresh RO/DI water to maintain your salinity. If you put in saltwater you will raise your salinity.

The article in question talked about adding your algae (ive been doing so much research I dont recall where I read it), so I was assuming you bought specific types of algae and added it. So is it just setting up the refuge/sump up along with the tank when I cycle and the refugium will naturally grow the algae?

On the second question, just to clarify, I use fresh water to make up evaporated water and use the saltwater to replace water ive taken out during water changes. So realistically I need 3 55 gal drums, one for fresh RO water, one for saltwater RO water, and a third for my waste water.

The article is talking about chaeto in your sump.

I don't think you have to get 3 55g drums. As a general rule, most people do a 20% water change every week or 2 weeks. In your case that's about 10-15 gallons. So you don't need much more than a few decent sized buckets.

Right
1. When topping off evaporated water= Use fresh (NO SALT) RO/DI water
2. When doing water cahnges= Saltwater at the same salinity and temp as display tank.

So realistically I need 3 55 gal drums, one for fresh RO water, one for saltwater RO water, and a third for my waste water.

You won't be doing 100% water changes so 55g tanks would be overkill. For my 75g tank I use an 11g garbage can for my fresh RO water and I use 5g buckets to mix my salt water in.

Hmmm, ok guess I had this water thing over done then, my thought was to have one 55gal drum always full of ro/di water, one full of saltwater and then a spare 55 gal for the ro/di waste.

For a 55 gallon tank, you will want to do a 5 or 10 gallon water change (with saltwater) each week or two. That's easily taken care of with one or two 5-gallon buckets from the hardware store. You don't need to have them filled with water constantly, either. Just make up the water a day or two before the water change, do the water change, then put the buckets away for another week or two until you're ready for another water change.

And the other guys are right -- only use fresh (not salt) water to top off evaporated water. Salt does not evaporate. Only water does. So when water evaporates from your tank, it leaves the salt behind, which raises the salinity of your tank. You need to add fresh water to balance that out again.

It's nice to see you doing your research and reading up on stuff! Good job!

Back