Algae and water circulation questions.

hazelsdad

Reefing newb
I have a 45 gallon square tank. Using a remora skimmer and a marineland 400 power filter which both completely line the back of the tank..I leave lights (T5 HO) on for 8 hours and total darkness for the rest. Have drapes shut so no direct sunlight gets in the room. I feed once a day ( frozen Rod's Food original) I mix it with saltwater and pour in from a plastic cup in spurts. The piece i crack off is around the size of a dime. I have an adult black and white clown and a juvenile false percula clown. I also have a Shertzwitz Blenny, a lawnmower blenny i got 1 day ago. a cleaner shrimp and a fire shrimp. a emerald crab along with 4 large narsa snails, 4 turbos, 6-10 hermits. A bubble anemone and a branch of frogspawn.

First off my live rock is almost completely green.The one that has the most coraline growth has the least green algae. I cannot completely get rid of the red slime and the amount of hair has become abundent. I just got a lawnmower blenny to help the hair growth. I am cleaning glass at least 2 times a week and my sand is more green then white. Any help here would be appreciated. Am i feeding too much?

Would a power head or 2 really help out? The filter and skimmer seem to be doing a good job of water movement. The anemone has itself placed right below the skimmer output.

So you have never done a water change? That is probably your problem. Water changes of 10 to 20% the volume of your tank should be done weekly or every two weeks. Have you tested your nitrates? They are probably high.

was debating doing the water changes. My fish guy said not to worry about water changes. Screws up the salinity and can have more issues. I was thinking that the freshwater is for top off and salt is for water changes.

Your fish guy is totally wrong. That's some of the worst advice I've ever heard. All that bad stuff that accumulates in your water? A skimmer and filter can't take it all out. In saltwater, the solution to pollution is dilution. Your fish are pooping and your leftover food is rotting. You need to remove it from the water. The most effective way to do this is regular water changes.

If your new water is the same salinity, or near the same salinity, as the water in your tank, you will be fine. Fresh is for top off, and salt is for water changes, you are correct. But water changes are essential for a saltwater tank!

I'd drop that fish guy! No water changes is seriously bad advice.

Thx for the advice! i thought that sounded wrong. Hopefully i misunderstood. This is my first tank ever. really surprised none of the fish have died or got a disease lol. Looks like i will be doing a water change ASAP! and weekly from there on out. You are totally right on the food rotting and poop. I bet thats why my sand is so bad.

Yeah. Water changes should help it a lot! Remember to only use RODI water. Get your new water up to the same temperature as your tank by using a little heater. And make sure the salinity is good. Then just swap it out.

You wouldnt wait until your having engine problems with your vehicle would you? Water changes on your tank are basically the same as changing the oil in your car.Its what makes the difference in how long it lasts.

Seeing all that gunk in the water I wouldnt even enjoy putting my hand in there..

I didnt at least when i didnt have as skimmer on my tank.

Btw, do you have tests? nitrite, nitrates, ammonia, ph, phosphates?

you should really test these numbers often to see how your tank is doing with filtration and if nitrates are high immediate water changes are required.

I am going to do weekly 20% water changes for a while. I can't believe i screwed that part up. I am lucky at least no fish have died.
On my first water change i got a bunch of hair algae and a bunch off the sand. Still alot left. Gonna stay diligent on this.

Back