Algae blackout - new tank

I'm going to be moving all my rocks into my new 125 in about 3-4 weeks (plus adding new dry rock). I'm still battling hair algae so I want to try to get it off the rocks before I move them to the new tank. I was thinking I could put half of my current rocks in a large bucket with heater and pump for a few weeks so the algae will die off. Then I'll put those in my new tank when I transfer the corals and CUC over. The fish will be in QT for ich (that's a whole other post). So I'll put the other half of the rocks in a dark bucket so the algae dies off those also, then add them to the tank after 2 weeks. Anyone try this before or see any problems? Do I need to add fish food to keep the critters/bacteria alive?

Otherwise I can just try to brush off as much algae as possible and hope with my new improved filtration system that it doesn't grow back (one of the good reasons why I need to upgrade, lol). Also my new tank will be in a different room of the house where it doesn't get sunlight so that should help.

Thanks little fish. I know that won't mean I won't get it again, but at least I'll know I did everything I could to prevent it. My new tank will have a large refugium, good skimmer, better flow, and just to be sure I'm going to use all new RODI water (remember I started the 55gal with tap but have been using RODI for a while now). Can't wait to get started - will do a new tank thread :)

Back