Algae bloom?

mmfrock

Reefing newb
Hi guys,

I think i've got my first algae bloom. Is this just new tank syndrome? Should I be concerned and do anything or will it go away on its own? I tested and the tests look fine and I just recently did a 5 gallon water change...what do you think?

Attachments

• IMG_4657.jpg
    IMG_4657.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 3,408
Diatoms, and is perfectly normal (expected actually) for a new cycling tank. It will go away on its own. Once the cycle completes (Amonia, NI and NA spike up then back down to 0), and you start getting some algae, you will want to start getting a clean up crew (snails, shrimp, etc).

If the cycle is done and the clean up crew are in, 2 other factors to these blooms can be excessive light and nitrate an phosphate. Just my experience

Its not uncommon to see a bloom like this when the tank is new, either during the cycle or right after.

Are you using tap water? Diatoms feed on the silicate found in most tap water

must be the phosphates, i had trouble with them in my old 90 gallon too. My lights are on 8-10 hours a day and nitrates are 0.

The algae in your picture doesn't really have anything to do with phosphates. It looks like diatoms which are caused by silicates. The most common cause for them in new tanks is from the sand. Once the algae uses up all the silicates it will go away on it's own.

Great! Thanks Brian! Well i've added some phosguard anyway, which says it takes care of phsophates and silicates. I had high phosphates in my old tank too so maybe its just best that i keep that media in there for awhile anyways. Thank you!

I added phosphoguard 3 days ago and it has made a major improvement! The brown algae is almost gone and i'm starting to get some pretty neon green alage on the rocks, but that looks nice at the moment so hopefully thats some good algae :-)

Back