Algae Growth! HELP!!!!

ponydesigns

Reefing newb
Ever since I gotten my new light, I have had algae growth.
Its comes off real easybut it only takes 2 days to come back.

Help!!!!
flaming.gif

Kinda slimy green algae

46gal bow
6x39 t5 light
2 powerheads
hob filter
Livestock:
1 flame angel
1Gold Band Maroon Clown
1Pseudochromis
1 Pajama Cardinal
2 Firefish Gobies
1 Scopas tang
1 Gold Banded Shrimp
1 Cleaner Shrimp

Use Tap Water with filters,Like I have for past 2 yrs
Feed once a day

Perimeters are 0
Ph 8.4
Temp 80 Sal 1.025

Never had this problem before!!!

The reason your getting the algae now,is because your new lights are giving it the extra juice to fire up.
When ever you up grade your lights,the extra nutrients in the water is going to tell on ya.
To get rid of it:
#1-Up your water changes and stop using tap water.Switch over to either RO or distilled water for all water changes and top offs.
#2-Cut your bio-load.You've to many fish for a 46 IMO.And that Scopus Tang is going to outgrow your tank pretty quick.Not to mention,they are a sh!t factory. As food goes in one end its coming back out the other out the other.
#3-Cut your lights back.Wont hurt to even leave them off for 3 or 4 days.

When you say you use tap water with filters, is one of the filters a RO unit? If not, i am 99% sure this is why, unless where you live, tap water doesnt contain all the bad elements.

Your biggest problems are probably A) using tap water, and B) overstocking. Without bright lights, the algae just didn't have the jump start it needed to take off, but now it has everything it needs: nutrients and lighting. You already have pretty high nutrients probably. If you work on getting your nitrates and phosphates down, that will fix your algae problem.

You have gotten good advice thusfar. I would like to add that if you cut back on the feeding regimen, you will reduce nutrients in the water. Feed every other day and just enough to keep the fish eating for a minute or so. That will induce more grazing and the flame and tang may eat more algae. I couldn't tell if you were getting it on the rocks and glass or just the rocks. I am a big fan of turbo snails to assist with the devouring of algae on the glass and small hair algae growth on the rocks. Good luck.

-Doc

I agree, don't use tap water. It's highly saturated in phosphates. What are you feeding?? No flakes. Only frozen & take the above advise on feeding. Ditch the HOB filter, it's aiding the issue at hand. You need a skimmer, anything at this point is helpfull. Yote is right about the scopas Tang, sh!t factory. (I'm going to get kicked for this), but Ah, You could try a Corallife skimmer, your tanks not that big and something is better than nothing. And take the above advise on some snails.

Back