Algae ID / solutions

RedM3

Reefing newb
I was hoping you all could help me ID this algae that is growing on my live sand and recently started spreading to the glass. It is mostly green, but there is some purple as well. Most of the purple grows on the glass rather than the sand. It isn't slimy, but it does "clump" up very easily. There are a few "hairs" in various spots. I only saw it growing several weeks after I started using "PurpleUp" to promote coralline algae growth. I never see any of my snails or hermit crabs (although I've lost most of my hermits and only have 2-3 left) eating the algae off the sand or glass. Any suggestions on getting rid of it?

While you're at it, if you can tell me what some of the white specs (look like little spirals) are that started showing up on the glass are too, that would be awesome! They are visible in the first and last pictures.

DSC00260.jpg

DSC00259.jpg

DSC00258.jpg

DSC00257.jpg

DSC00256.jpg

From what i have read. That could very well be a green shade of cyano. Regardless, Water changes should help. Either nitrates or phosphates must be high.

My nitrates are at zero. I typically do a 10% water change every week (and if I miss a week, I do 20% the following week) and only use RO/DI water. When I first set up the tank, I had a phosphate issue - but no algae issues - since I was using dechlorinated tap water. I used a phosphate remover when I first switched to the RO water (maybe three-four months ago). I'll test for phosphates and see if I have anything going on there.

If it is cyano, are there any animals that eat it? Or do I need to siphon it out?

You should try to siphon it all out. Cerith snails, nerites, and dwarf blue leg hermits are known to eat cyano.

Back