Algae in aragonite bed help

linbeg

Reefing newb
i bought a used aquarium from a buddy for quite a deal, but he has some algae growing under his aragonite sand bed. How should i go about removing this? Should i just transfer my live stock in another tank and rinse and stir the aragonite sand bed with fresh salt water? Or is there another better suggestion?

Usually when moving an aquarium, it is best to just get new sand. When you move it, you can stir up a lot of :pooh: that can cause a mini cycle or even a full blown one that can kill your fish.

when you first set up a tank, it takes time for the bacteria to colonize and become able to handle the fish waste. So if for some reason stuff gets stired up, an influx of waste will cause the bacteria population to not be able to handle the amount of waste. This can cause ammonia and nitrites to spike both of which are harmful to fish.

Since you are new, I would highly recommend that you read the Stickies at the top of the different forums.

https://www.livingreefs.com/cycling-tank-adding-fish-and-corals-t26452.html

This is one about cycling a tank. They are all very good.

wouldn't there be a problem though, since i already have 50lbs of live rock and live stock in the system. Does that mean that i have to transfer all these into another aquarium and wait for the my main system with new sand to cycle(which can go for weeks?)

If you keep the Live rock wet, you wont have much die off on that so you already have a well established bacteria colony. You might still see spikes in ammonia and nitrites, but not nearly as much as if you kept the sand with all the :pooh: that it has been collecting.

Just have some water handy to do some emergency water changes if you see that the fish are stressed

It's usually a preference, linbeg. Some people like just enough to cover the bottom, others like a deep sand bed of 5" or more. I think my 125g (which is 6' long) used 1 40lb bag...it was enough for maybe an inch or so of sand.

Make sure you RINSE it very very very well before putting it in (just to get the extra dust off it, thereby lessening the cloudiness of your water). Have premixed saltwater prepared to do any water changes and monitor your parameters (ammonia, nitrites, nitrates). Siphon off as much loose muck as you can.
Welcome to the hobby!

It's usually a preference, linbeg. Some people like just enough to cover the bottom, others like a deep sand bed of 5" or more. I think my 125g (which is 6' long) used 1 40lb bag...it was enough for maybe an inch or so of sand.

Make sure you RINSE it very very very well before putting it in (just to get the extra dust off it, thereby lessening the cloudiness of your water). Have premixed saltwater prepared to do any water changes and monitor your parameters (ammonia, nitrites, nitrates). Siphon off as much loose muck as you can.
Welcome to the hobby!

what kind of medium should i rinse the sand with first? tap water? ?RO water? Or saltwater?
and thansk:D

I used tap water myself....did LOTS and LOTS of rinsing....i mean LOTS....fill, sift, drain...fill, sift, drain....many many times :) The result is that even when my sand is stirred, there is less cloudiness and the water clears up much faster. Plus my hands were nice and exfoliated by the time I was done LOL

You can use rodi if you want to be super safe. i didn't want to waste perfectly good rodi, so I used tap.... I just made sure to drain as much of the tap water as possible. No ill effects that I can see, and my tank's been up for a year now.

I used tap water myself....did LOTS and LOTS of rinsing....i mean LOTS....fill, sift, drain...fill, sift, drain....many many times :) The result is that even when my sand is stirred, there is less cloudiness and the water clears up much faster. Plus my hands were nice and exfoliated by the time I was done LOL

You can use rodi if you want to be super safe. i didn't want to waste perfectly good rodi, so I used tap.... I just made sure to drain as much of the tap water as possible. No ill effects that I can see, and my tank's been up for a year now.

In your opinion, do you think i should reuse the aragonite bed from the old tank, and thoroughly rinse it clean orrr get a new sand bed?

Back