algae munchers

johno1973

Reefing newb
I'm looking for a fish that will fit into a 30 gal that loves to eat green hair algae. I have a little more than I would like, not problematic by any means just would like to see less. Any ideas? My first thought was the yellow tang that my LFS has but I would never put one in my small tank. I did get an arrow crab though. He is way cool.

You could try a lawnmower blennie. They are really cool fish. But you will need to either train them to eat frozen food or feed them nori sheets after the HA is gone. Even then it is not garunteed to do that. I had one starve even when I tried the algea sheets.

I was going to suggest the same fish....but if your hair algae is LONG, it might not eat it. I had to trime mine down, and then he started eating it. Mine just might be weird :) Don't supplement with algae sheets until he gets used to picking the rocks, though, otherwise, he won't eat your problem algae.

That would be good, but I would hate for the poor thing to starve down the road. May get lucky though. We will see what else is suggested too. The LFS had a beautiful Mandarin that I have just about fallen in love with. Live Aquaria says they are carnivores though. Maybe after algae destroying purchace.

I think a lawnmower blenny would be fine. They normally adapt pretty easily to frozen foods and algae sheets, so they don't usually starve.

I think you should go with a Sea Hare, many LFS's will "rent" them to you, because they'll starve after they eat all the algae. They ROCK!

Back