Algae Turf Scrubber

reef_bug

RonBurgundy
Ok i currently have a 65g reef/fish been running for about 4yrs, in top condition right now. I also purchased a 210 last year and have been buying items throughout the year. I made my own sump/refugium out of a 75g i bought off craigslist for $50. Anyways I've been doing a lot of reading on the "Algae Turf Scrubbers" does anyone have one and whats your opinion. Thanks

I have one, and LOVE it!

I have no algae issues, plus cleaning it is a snap. Its kinda annoying that you have to build it, but well worth it.

I ran one for about 6 months, my tank looked great while I was using it. But, for me it was too much of a hassle. It would constantly spray water everywhere under my stand even after rebuilding it twice. Ultimately as effective as it was I broke it down and hooked up a new skimmer.

I seem to have been the only one with that problem on this site. Other sites it seems like a more common problem. When I first set up my ATS I had an out of control HA problem but, with the ATS it had almost completely gone away.

If you block the light with a piece of plastic just at the point where the mesh meets the tube, it will help stop algae from growing into the slots, which causes the spray.

If you block the light with a piece of plastic just at the point where the mesh meets the tube, it will help stop algae from growing into the slots, which causes the spray.

Even after I scrubbed the PVC to remove any algae, and cleaned the screen off it still squirted. Rebuilt the whole thing from scratch twice and same problem, I just think I wasn't meant to run one :mrgreen:

I've got one and it works great! It was cheap and rather easy to set up. Since installing, the algae on my tank glass has virtually been eliminated and my tank parameters have been near perfect. It is a bit of a pain to clean each week, but it literally only takes 5 minutes. If you have any questions, be sure to let us know!

I love my scrubber. I will say, there are quirks and tweaks to be done while building and after.

I had a few problems with the squirting mentioned above but fixed it with a cut really straight and exactly 1/8" wide. When I was forced to upgrade to a 512gph pump, from a 250gph pump, had to slighty sand the end cap side to get my flow perfectly even again. I have no squirting, even with algae at the top....

IMG_0504.jpg

Also, for the longest time I could not get algae to grow properly on the screen. I think it was 2 factors that held me back. I didn't line my light reflectors with the mylar as suggested. I couldn't find it. I tried so hard to find mylar at Home Depot and Lowes. To find it, I stumbled into the camping department in my local Wal-Mart and there it was, folded in a small box, mylar heating blanket. $1.87

The other thing is bio-load. I cycled with my scrubber. It took some time but I finally have a tank that is 2" away from it's max "inches of fish per gallon" equation. Algae grows on my screen with ease now and I have no more 'problem' algae in my tank.

Compared to other methods of cleaning and overall sump maintenance, the scrubber seemed the easiest. I can't say it's better or easier though, because I haven't tried other methods.

Put it this way, I barley use my testing kit's anymore, I have the strips and use them bi-weekly, yet rarely pull out the tubes and testing fluids. I did alot of test tube testing at first, but as time rolled on and i got the same results, I kept toning it down. If my frog spawn looks small or my acans start shrinking, (rarley happens) that's when i use my test tubes.

I have 6 red mangroves, cactus capulera, ulva, cheato, and some pieces of money plant to help take care of the phosphates and nitrates the scrubber misses. My tank seems ultra easy to take care of now.

I do minor water changes (5 gal) once a week, clean my screen once a week, and top off with R/O daily. Aside from feeding, that's all I have to do to keep my tank going strong. When I upgrade to more, larger tanks, I can't see myself going another way. Scrubber for life.

:Cheers:

Back